07 - The new plan

"What happened, Zoey, what is wrong?"

Zoey struggles to talk and with a timid, crying voice, she answers: "Chloe, Quinn sped off with our car and left us alone on the farm! We had a hell of an argument and I again threatened to divorce him and he became ballistic. He hit me with his fist as if I was a punching bag!"

She gives a few sad sobs before she struggles on. "Lyle tried to intervene and protect me but Quinn slapped him and tossed him aside like a bag of potatoes. Then he stormed out of the house, got in the car and raced away."

"Oh no, how is Lyle? Is he injured badly?"

"He is okay, Chloe. I think wrestling and judo trained him to fall without hurting himself."

"Are you okay? You told me Quinn hit you with his fists."

"I'm all right. I put ice on my face to try and curb the swelling, but I'm not going to look nice tomorrow."

"Goodness Zoey. I am going to get into the Cooper right now. I'll be there in a jiffy."

Chloe finds Zoey, Lyle and Ronnie in front of the TV. It's almost lunchtime. Ronnie got rid of most of the dust from his workshop and sits aside on a wooden chair. Chloe places the file on his lap. She knows Leo is somewhere on the farm and will only return towards evening and is blissfully unaware of the drama that took place at the house. Susan usually packs a giant hamper on days like this when he works far off. He had already greeted Zoey and her family last night.

Lyle and Zoey sit together on a couch. Chloe bends over Zoey and inspects her face. She sees her right eye and left cheek are red and on places purple and already badly swollen.

"Oh my goodness, Zoey. How could he?"

She looks at Lyle that sits peacefully next to her. He has a red handprint on his cheek where Quinn slapped him.

"Where do you hurt, Lyle?"

"I'm fine, Chloe."

Ronnie informs her: "I made sure he's all right. I had him put ice on the mark for a long time, but it is going to look bad tomorrow. He bruised his arm and shoulder while trying to break his fall, but nothing is broken."

"Pull off your shirt, Lyle, and show me. I want to see for myself."

Lyle obliges and Chloe tenderly caresses the red, bruised arm as if she could soothe the pain and discomfort away.

She touches the red area on his shoulder. "Oh no, this must be painful, it is so unnecessary. Sorry dear, does it hurt when you move your arm?"

Lyle smiles while he moves his arm in a circle. "Not so bad, Chloe. I frequently have more severe falls at my judo and wrestling classes at school."

Chloe smiles tenderly at him: "Our Iron Man!"

Susan calls them: "Lunch is ready; will you please all come to the dining table. I want to dish up."

While enjoying the lunch, Chloe earnestly looks at Zoey.

"Please allow me to take Lyle back to his hostel with my Cooper, Zoey. I've just quickly got to cancel an appointment at three this afternoon in the city. Come to think of it, I've never asked Mrs Kennedy for her telephone number. I will have to look it up in the directory or Google His and Her's hair salon."

Zoey feels guilty. "No Chloe, why don't you rather lend me the Toyota Venture? It's not in use and I want to take Lyle back and then you don't have to cancel your appointment for our sake."

She is talking about the Toyota Venture 2200 GLE that they usually use to transport workers and their families into town and back.

"My appointment can wait until tomorrow."

Entrappedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें