23 - The Inexplicable

It is a beautiful day in many ways. Cloudless, windless with a clear, fresh, bright, blue sky.

Early in the morning, they visit the town and she pays for everything Hunter needs. Thereafter Chloe tremendously enjoys herself; then she helps Robert to stabilize the ladder and then she helps Hunter by holding something in place while he fastens it. She spoils them with supplying drinks and snacks and forces them to take a break and enjoy the snacks before they continue with their work.

In time she and Isaac's island becomes much more secure. When dusk falls in the evening, the bright spotlights will kick in automatically which mainly focus on the places they park their cars and allow them to reach their homes safely and avert them stumbling through the darkness.

The alarm's red LED light warns at the front door by flickering if someone attempted to burgle her home and disconnected or damaged the siren while she was away. She will know for sure she is entering an empty house. Hunter also installs a normal switch at the front door so that she can switch on the light on entering her home. Furthermore, a security eye covers the length of the corridor and another one covers the length of the kitchen up to the back door. Each window now has a magnetic switch and latches are installed in the attic windows. No one will be able to ambush her in her sleep and Hunter shows them to use the walkie-talkies so that she at any moment can contact Robert and tell him what is going on. Robert is an excellent marksman and can even hit a small monkey high up in a tree.

Security gates are installed at the front and back doors and even peepholes so that no one can surprise and ambush her. Chloe is so thankful for their concern and all the hard work. They complete the work just when the sun touches the horizon and it is almost time for the spotlights to come on.

Chloe has their early supper ready and made extra to make sure there is more than enough for Isaac. She only joins Hunter and Robert for a little bite and then Robert is on his way to his place with Chloe's smartphone number also on his phone.

Hunter is still not satisfied to leave her alone, but she shows him the pistol and promises all sorts of things before he relents and his Mercedes slowly disappears along the bush road just in time for the spotlights to kick in as dusk falls.

They agreed upon her phoning Hayley to warn all of them about their imminent visit. Hunter will be here early and then she will take him with her Cooper to start with his investigation. He wants to question everyone face to face. First, they will visit Hayley at the shop and then they will meet Ronnie and Leo on the farm. Hunter wants to finish his interviews by tomorrow evening so that he can start his search for Quinn if he is still missing, the day after tomorrow.

Chloe is lying alone on her bed while she gets Hayley's number on her smartphone and pushes the dial indicator and she wonders whether she will have a restful night. Those naughty monkeys will not hinder her tonight.

"Chloe, how are you, my darling, I was on the point of phoning you. Did you take Lyle to school? How is Zoey?"

Chloe smiles. "Yes. Lyle is back at school and the doctor said Zoey is out of danger and we'll have to wait until she comes out of the coma and hopefully she will not suffer permanent damage. The doctor keeps me in the loop."

"Shame, Chloe, it must be quite hard for you. I really burnt to phone you but was extremely busy on this side. How is your home?"

"No problem, Hayley, I've been very busy also but I must tell you something. The first time I talked to Lyle when you were waiting outside, he told me that it hadn't been an accident. A truck deliberately pushed them over the cliff and he believed that the driver wanted to murder them."

"What, Chloe! Good heavens! Unreal! Why haven't you told us?"

"Lyle was afraid you would think he is mad. He asked me to keep it secret till we have decided what we are going to do but I reported it to the police in the meantime."