16. The visitor

Chloe forces herself with difficulty to open her eyes slowly. They are thick with sleep and drowsily she starts to observe her room. It is still darkish inside because she hung sheets in front of the blinds, but the many rays of sun that shine through the openings of the guest room and kitchen reveals that it must be late in the day.

She suddenly realizes what has awoken her because the sounds come again. There is a knock on the front door. Last night she plunged into bed dead tired and naked and covered her with the sheet. She takes her smartphone and it shows it is twelve-o'-clock. Well, Isaac's tablet did their thing because she has slept right through until now. She climbs out of bed and gets her gown out of the cupboard.

Someone knocks again and she shouts: "Just wait; I'm coming!"

She is itching to phone Rene at the hospital to inquire about her family. Could it be Robert or Isaac? Maybe it is Isaac with news. It can only be one of the two. Barefooted she walks to the front door while she pulls her gown straight and fastens the strings. She desperately hopes that it is Isaac with good news.

She unlocks the front door and opens it and looks up right into the attractive face of Leo who smiles at her and winks.

"I tracked you like a bloodhound because I will go to world's end to find my Chloe. Don't you also miss me? What about a little kiss?"

Chloe frowns and her eyes narrow against the bright sunlight. Again it is a beautiful, sunny and cloudless day. "I have just awoken, Leo, and my mouth stinks. Kiss me on the cheek if you must, you mad cock. How on earth did you manage to get to me?"

He bends forward and lands a gentle kiss on her cheek. "I have just chased you out of bed but your natural beauty is overwhelming. I miss you awfully! You're not playing the game with us, Chloe. The farm is dead without you. We are all down in the dumps and Batista en Buddy howl all day."

"Oh no, man. You are exaggerating hopelessly. I don't believe you!"

"Those two watchdogs are used to following you all over and guard you. When you're inside, they wait outside. When you walk out, they follow you like shadows and when you ride your bicycle they run along. And when you ride the one with torque you must race away from them quickly or else they will run themselves to death following you. You don't realize how much they love you! Sis Chloe!"

Chloe smiles. She envisions the two lovely, giant boerboels.

"Come in, you scoundrel, you're really succeeding in letting me feel guilty. I have forgotten how fond they are of me and I haven't been away from the farm in the past for long times. I shall spoil them rotten when I see them again. So, thanks for the information. They don't know how huge they are. When they jump up against me and put their paws on my shoulders, they lick me dripping wet." She laughs happily when she remembers: "However, I don't enjoy my slimy hair and the smell of them and the wash of my body in the shower after they have cuddled me"

Chloe tries to wipe the sleep out of her eyes while Leo enters. "So, how did you find me?"

"Well, I nagged Hayley and then got your address from Mrs Kennedy. Now you can tell me in detail what happened yesterday."

Chloe turns and walks to the kitchen. "Follow me to the kitchen, Leo, but leave the door open. I want to invite the fresh air of the woods inside. I'm simply mad about the aromas of this forest. This place has a unique atmosphere."

She pulls out a chair from under the dinner table in the kitchen. "You sit here while I get dressed and make myself presentable in the bathroom. This house has no inner doors; only bead curtains in the door openings, so we will be able to chat while I'm busy."