03 - The shock

Chloe is at a loss of words. She wants to speak but the words don't come to her mind. She feels she must stop him before he goes any further, but almost instinctively realize that it's too late. Leo's right-hand leaves her breast and reaches into his pocket. The next moment he shows her a beautiful Golden Cushion engagement ring.

Her knees become weak of shock as she realizes that he has already made the step and that he will not easily be convinced that she is not ready for this.

Leo looks deep into her eyes and displays the ring in front of her eyes like a trump card; a cherry on a cake. "Chloe, your father made it abundantly clear before all at the dinner table that he wishes for his youngest daughter to marry someone that can look well after her and the farm. I took over the farm as manager three years ago when he had a heart attack and became ill and was forced to appoint a manager. You know he was talking about me because I made a success of everything. The farm is now highly profitable with different nest eggs and he knows I can make it even better. Your dad and I understand each other and, furthermore, he is not blind to how well we are clicking.

"Your father has only you, Zoey and Lyle. Zoey is no farm girl at all and will never be. You told me how she ran away from the farm with her worthless, playboy husband. Lyle is only fourteen now and can't take over the farm. You've helped me tremendously with the administration but your first love is the furniture shop.

"Marry me, Chloe, and everything falls in place. You focus on your furniture ventures and me on the farm and when Lyle is ready one day, we make a success together with Eastwood Estate as a family enterprise."

Leo gets down on one knee and offers the ring to her while he makes his final point. "Chloe, I ask you formally here on this veranda of the Eastwood Estate, I love you dearly and will never disappoint you; marry me!"

She finally finds her voice.

"Leo, you and Ronnie are like my two brothers. I've never thought of you in this way, although I love you both to bits, but like brothers. How much did this expensive ring cost you? Are you now going to pay it off? You are placing me in a very difficult situation because I do not want to disappoint you, but tonight I am just thinking about freedom and independence, and now I must answer a difficult question here on my coming of age party."

She shakes her head despondently from side to side. "No, Leo. This is out of the blue and I am not ready for such a drastic change in my life. You will have to give me time to ponder and process your question."

To her surprise, he smiles while he stands up. "I understand it is unexpected, Chloe, and that you need time. I hope in future you will look through new eyes towards me and that you will consider my proposal carefully."

He puts the ring back in his pocket. "Does my proposal make any sense to you?"

She speaks slowly and carefully. "It makes complete sense in many instances, Leo, but I haven't even slightly contemplated taking a husband with all the consequences thereof. You know, I don't even feel comfortable in a dress, you know me well!"

Leo smiles and winks naughtily at her. "I can't wait for the day the woman in you awakes, Chloe!"

"Leo. Let's go in now. Soon they will be looking for us."

"Chloe, you go now. I am going to stay here and lick my wounds and think about what could have been."

She steps forward and gives him a little peck on the cheek. "Shame, I'm sorry, Leo. Don't let this spoil our friendship, please."

Leo put his hand over her little kiss as if he wants to catch and save it. "You know me better than this, Chloe. Doesn't matter what you do; you will always be my angel."