10 - How do you do?

He doesn't look much older than her with short, black hair. Who the hell gives this scoundrel the right to take over her house so nonchalantly? She is going to frighten him and yells on top of her voice: "Hi! What the hell do you think you are doing!"

He shows no sign of fright and only opening his eyes leisurely, he looks at her calmly and casually as if she's the one that is out of place.

"Hi, and who are you?"

Chloe rolls her eyes indignantly at this man's unashamed impertinence and throws her hands in the air trying to show her rebellion against his attitude. "This is my place; how on earth can you just waltz in here, put your ass on my couch and pretends that this is your place?"

"The front door was open."

"Huh!" She lifts her hands and with palms towards him and with an attitude of 'what nonsense are you talking?' she sways her hips to underscore her dismay. She utters loudly: "Unbelievable!"

He looks quite amused: "You are looking quite cute when you talk with your whole body."

She now puts her hands on her hips and pushes her head forward: "Have you listened to any word I've said! Who gives you the right to come in here uninvited and to sit down and purporting innocence, sir?"

"Your place? Aren't these the houses that Mrs Kennedy rent out?"

"Yes, and I rent this one, duh!"

A smile forms on his lips and his striking, blue eyes tease her. Why is this man so attractive and sexy and irritating at the same time? Nothing disturbs or upsets him and he is unnaturally calm. He pretends to have done nothing wrong. Doesn't matter which tantrum she throws at him, he rather enjoys it and seems to revel in harrowing her while he speaks smugly.

"I spoke to Mrs Kennedy the day before yesterday over the phone and she had no tenants at that stage. When did you move in?"

"Yesterday afternoon."

"I wasn't sure if I would come through today and would only know at the last moment. She said she would arrange that the key will be kept in the sand beneath a big stone next to the well. I can then move in the moment I arrive or make another appointment. Everything looked fine when I arrived and your front door was wide open and I assumed that Robert is somewhere and unlocked the door so that I did not need to get the keys from under the stone. There you have my story, darling. Satisfied?"

Somewhere a bell in her thoughts tinkles as she remembers that Mrs Kennedy mentioned a possible tenant in the place opposite hers. But she acts as if she doesn't believe a word he has said and tries to unnerve him.

"How will they leave the keys for a stranger?"

He sighs lazily: "It is a lo-o-o-ng story, but let me try. Mrs Kennedy has known me since I was a child because I was born here in town and knows her family. I phoned from Cape Town when it became clear that I had to move here. Everyone knows that she battles to get tenants because no one wants to move in here. There was this possibility that I would move only much later this year and I told her not to hold the place if she gets tenants in the meantime. Only yesterday my coming here was unexpectedly finalised and I wanted to move in this morning as early as possible. That's when she suggested that they will leave the key at the well if I would get away from the Cape last night."

Chloe now realises why he looks exhausted.

"So, you drove all the way from Cape Town last night?"

"Yes, quite."

"I now remember that Mrs Kennedy asked me whether I would mind if someone takes the big house if I don't want to hire the whole plot. She gave me that option. Man, you are bloody lucky, because you nearly slipped up. I wish I had taken the whole plot so that I could chase you away like a bad dog." She sticks out her tongue shamelessly at him.