41. The trap

It is Sunday morning and Isaac has just left for the hospital after Chloe spoilt them with a super breakfast. She is sitting with Lyle on the couch and they are watching a very interesting BBC documentary about global warming. The glaciers are darkening and melting very quickly and are going to disappear very soon. Temperatures are rising and in some places became too high already for people to survive and the winters have become shorter and it becomes hazardous for fishermen fishing through ice holes because of the danger of falling through the thin ice layer where earlier a thick layer of ice had been. Animals and humans now have to alter their habits and traditions to survive.

Strategic leaders that should make a difference are aggravating the situation. In Brazil its president is the biggest threat ever to the Amazon. The sea is becoming more acidic and polluted by plastics. The world's oxygen generators, the algae in the sea and the rain forests on land, are endangered. Now even Japan wants to dump tons of nuclear waste into the sea. Is the world determined to exterminate itself?

Chloe and Lyle look at each other and shake their heads shocked and she ponders his future while they absorb the shocking news.

Someone knocks at the front door and Chloe jumps up quickly and walks in anticipation to the front door.

"Hello, who knocks?"

She isn't disappointed. "It is, Hunter, Chloe."

Chloe jerks the door open violently and grabs Hunter and hugs him while speaking with her head on his shoulder: "You devil! I worried myself to death over you."

Hunter smiles and lovingly caresses her back as if she is his own daughter. "They are not calling me Hunter for nothing, Chloe, I can look well after myself and I am hot on the heels of my prey."

"Your message last night came just in time. I had to hold Isaac back. He was on the point of leaving in search of you in the dark bushes."

"I humbly ask forgiveness, Chloe, I had to switch off my phone because it was a great risk. It could have given my presence away."

Hunter peeps over her shoulder at Lyle on the couch that has turned around and curiously watches them.

"Hello, Lyle. Here is your bag, my mate. Sorry, I was in such a hurry I forgot it in my boot and you are probably still in yesterday's dirty clothes."

Lyle gives Hunter a thumps up. "Thanks Uncle, worry not! It can't go better than here with Chloe!"

Chloe laughs. "Come in, Hunter. He looked terribly funny with Isaac's pyjama pants that he had to grasp all the time."

Hunter puts Lyle's bag on the couch. "Here, big guy, did you enjoy your day?"

Lyle smiles from ear to ear. "Wow, thank you for your proposal. And thank you, Chloe. I nearly played myself into a coma and still have a lot of money left. I forgot to return it to you."

"Keep it for pocket money, my boy."

"Huh, wow! Thanks, Chloe."

"Listen. I am going to take Uncle Hunter to the kitchen for breakfast. He must be as hungry as a lion. You can change into clean clothes right here while you watch further, Lyle."

"Okay, Chloe."

Chloe simply burns of curiosity to quiz Hunter and luckily she has everything ready. His breakfast is in the microwave and she switches it on and also ignites the stove for boiling water and she lets him sit down at the table and puts the cutlery in front of him. She quickly gets the instant coffee, sugar and milk ready. Three minutes later the microwave rings and she dishes up, puts his coffee in front of him and sits down in anticipation.