Chp. 76 "Welcome Home"

Start from the beginning

She scrunched her nose at my comment and shook her head, laughing slightly, “You looked like a mummy.”

I rolled my eyes, turning my body in an attempt to get out from under her, but failing miserably. She leaned down, hovering her face inches from mine as I retorted, “That’s not funny.”

She smiled, “But a cute mummy.”

I remembered my bald spot that I had hidden under the rest of my hair, and for some reason I was self-conscious about it. I was scared you could see it, but Avery claimed you no one could. I was just afraid she was lying to me to spare me anxiety. And judging by her next response I figured she had seen the uneasy look I had on my face.

She kissed my lips and smiled, “You’re still beautiful Andy, and you look no different than before. I promise.”

She then turned down the covers and pulled me under them with her, holding my body close to hers as she flicked off the lamp. I could barely make out the contour of her body but I could feel her against me.

She whispered again, “We’re going home tomorrow.”

I smiled into her chest as I hugged her closer to me, feeling her body warmth surround me like a blanket. I nodded, “I know. I can’t wait.”

Her arms pulled me closer, and for some reason this always made me forget everything that I was going through. It had always been that way with Avery. No matter what I was going through or how I felt, when she would hold me it would all just disappear. I pinned it on the fact that I was in love with her, but maybe it was something more.

Maybe she was my soul mate or something.

I wasn’t much of a believer in fate and all that crap, and how we all had someone out there that was made for us, but lying here with Avery made me think otherwise. I had really never felt this safe with anyone in my life, but I did with her, and I loved it so much.

And she was all mine.

I was just ready to get home and get away from this place that held so many bad memories. I wanted to start fresh, maybe go to college and move out with Avery.

That actually didn’t sound too bad.

She whispered, “Goodnight Andy.”

I felt my eye lids grow heavy as I whispered before drifting off completely, “I love you.”

~ ~ ~ ~

“Fuck, I hate the landing.”

Avery’s hand was in mine as I squeezed tightly, feeling the plane jerk under us as we touched down in my home state. She laughed slightly at me, “You escaped a building full of gun-shooting maniacs and a plane landing still scares you?”