Chp. 32 "Preparation"

Chp. 32 “Preparation”

After about three long hours of packing and unpacking Avery and I had finally finished. Although it was only 1:00 in the afternoon I felt pooped, and then before we could relax my phone rang in my pocket. I pulled it out, seeing Max’s familiar name flash across my screen. I slid to answer and spoke, “Hey, how did the talk with Gage go?”

“He’s up for it, pretty excited actually. Are you two finished packing?”

His voice held excitement and anxiousness, and I knew Max and Gage were going to be excited about this trip. It was an adventure, something new and interesting, but we had to keep in mind what was at stake here.

I replied, “Yea, I think so. What about you and Gage?”

I heard a pause and he mumbled, “Well Gage is done but I’m not sure if I should bring along my PS4, I mean a whole month without it-“

“Max, you’re not bringing that,” my voice cut him off and he sighed heavily on the other end of the line.

“But Andy, that’s a long time without checking my online status’s and invites-“

“No,” I sounded harsh but seriously? There was no need for him to take up more space with useless stuff when that wasn’t our main problem.

A pandemic sweeping through the nation and killing thousands was, along with the corrupted government affiliation was.

He groaned, “Fine! But I’m bringing my laptop so I can have Netflix!”

I rolled my eyes at him and spoke, “Alright, fine.”

I heard a slight pause and this made me think about what he could be conjuring up in his head. He was thinking of something, but I knew he would tell me about his thought soon. Then like I had predicted, his voice rang through the phone, “We need to practice, if you know what I mean.”

I felt my heart beat quicken at this, knowing he was absolutely right. We needed to train our powers and practice them as much as we can before we left, especially me. I agreed quickly, “Meet at the Yard in fifteen?”

“Sounds good, Gage and I will be there.”

I clicked the phone off and looked at Avery, causing her to question me with her confusion. “What did he say?”

“We need to go to the junkyard; Max and I need to practice.”

~ ~ ~ ~

Avery had offered to drive to the junkyard today, allowing me to sit in the passenger seat and watch her silently. I recalled the heated moment we had last night and how absolutely amazing it had been to watch her unravel beneath me. I grazed her arm lightly, smirking as I saw her cheeks redden, “I can’t stop thinking about last night Avery.”