Chp. 26 "Close Call"

Chp. 26 “Close Call”

The silence in the car continued hours after we left my mom’s house, and even though it was slightly awkward, I didn’t mind. I needed to think, and I needed to sort through the information I had gathered from my mom. There was just so much I didn’t know before I talked with her, and now that I had I felt a sense of overwhelming.

I started with the thought of me inheriting my dad’s power, and how it was bizarre considering it usually skipped at least five generations. I knew there were freak occurrences in the world, they happened every day. Kids were born with genetic mutations and such, and a freak occurrence had happened to me, Andrea Brock.

So here I was with my now three powers, Healing, Electricity control, and now Telekinesis. It worried me because just recently I had been informed that if I absorbed too many powers it could be devastating, and although I was a Healer, I wasn’t taking chances.

Then I thought about Blaine and this guy Roger, and I knew there was a connection, there had to be. I knew better than to label it as a coincidence, and even though I decided to hold off on the phone call to Roger, I knew it would become inevitable. I knew once I spoke with him and made it safely to the Bureau everything was going to start making a lot more sense, but I wanted to process everything else first.

So my dad had been murdered by an agent from the F.P.S., and he was on a rescue mission to save a Healer, who I figured had to be Blaine. I remembered how he had told me he was captured by the F.P.S. because he was a Healer but what stopped me in my tracks was because he told us that they were trying to make Super Soldiers. My dad rescued Blaine just in time before the government finally found a way to give not only mortal people this power, but they wanted to make soldiers invincible.

The eeriness of the thought sent chills through my body. Imagining soldiers that could survive nearly anything, holding guns and marching through the streets…

That could absolutely not happen.

Avery’s hand slipped through mine as her head leaned on my shoulder, snapping me out of my daydream. I smiled, scooting in closer to where we would both be more comfortable. I felt protectiveness over everyone in this car, but it was on a high alert for Avery. I ran my hand soothingly through her soft hair, hoping that everything would be easier than we were all fearing. Finding this Bureau was important, especially to Avery, Max, and Gage.

If this disease got out of hand they wouldn’t be immune to sickness like I am, and I couldn’t watch my friends die that horrible death.

I noticed Max had started to doze off once again in the front seat as Gage started messing with the GPS. I watched curiously, seeing him pick a different route and selecting it. The monitor spoke, “Exit off at the next four exits,” and I watched the pink route change slightly.

I spoke up, “Gage, why did you change the route, we still have hours till were supposed to exit off?”

His eyes glanced to the rearview mirror but they didn’t look at me, and suddenly horrid thoughts came to mind. He had been completely silent the entire trip, and when I accused the government of all the atrocity he became defensive.