Chp. 70 "Mishap"

Chp. 70 “Mishap”

~AVERY’S POV~

As I watched Andy and Max pull away I felt my heart ache, knowing that we were separating. I had been worrying myself sick about this plan but I had tried my best not to show it. Andy had enough stress on her shoulders, and if everyone started freaking out I knew she would lose her cool. I was trying to be tough for her, but now that she was gone I had to let some pressure off of my shoulders.

“Holy fuck, this is insane.”

Gage, Roger, and stupid-bitch Taylor looked at me, and I silently apologized for my language. Except to Taylor, I could give a shit what she thinks about me.

Roger spoke, “Avery, everything will be ok,” then he reached into the glove compartment of the Tahoe, pulling out a .45 handgun. He looked at me, “Of your request.”

I grabbed the gun and the extra magazine of bullets from him, nodding and remembering the agreement we had made. I had secretly met up with Roger and discussed getting myself a gun, knowing I would most likely need one going into the F.P.S. It had taken quite of bit persuasion but he finally let me when we met in the shooting range, and he agreed.

Obviously I hadn’t told him about why I knew how to handle a gun, but I figured using “My brother’s in the army” excuse he would fall for it.

And he did.

The only reason I was going into this place was because of my father, because I knew he was in danger if anything went wrong. I didn’t know exactly what he contributed to the government, but I was going in there to cover his ass just in case.

Then I heard Gage speak, “So, you know how to shoot a gun too. You’re just full of surprises.”

I saw Taylor glance at me from my side, and a feeling of rage bubbled in my stomach. I shot her a mean glance, twirling the gun in my hand and putting it on safety and speaking, “I’m a pretty good shot too.”

Taylor held a stern look as I held eye contact with her but I could tell she was slightly intimidated, and I liked that. I knew it wasn’t completely her fault over what happened, but she knew Andy and I were together, and she was supposedly more mature than us. You would think she would know simple girl code and not go after someone who’s four years younger than her that already has a girlfriend.

I was still grieving over what they had done, and it hurt to know Andy had felt the need to go out and find someone else. I mean, considering I had been really fucking sick and almost died she could’ve cut me some slack there, but I knew I had lied to her. I should’ve told her, but I had held off, and I figured the kiss was just some repercussion from the revelation about my father.

But I needed to push that to the back of my mind, at least for now until this entire plan was behind us. I needed to focus, I needed to stay calm, and I needed to fight the urge to put a bullet right between Taylor’s eyes.