Chp. 43 "Surprise"

Chp. 43 “Surprise”

I read the text message that had been sent almost immediately after I had hung up with Agent Roger Boyd. He still wanted to meet more towards dark and there was an address we would have to type into the GPS whenever we finished settling into our rooms and piled back into the Tahoe.

Which would be soon.

We all piled into the elevator once again and Gage spoke, “The time still stands huh?”

I nodded, “Yup, so we’ll be leaving in about ten minutes.”

The door to the elevator opened to our floor and we eventually found our rooms, and I was more than eager to lay in the comfort of our bed. Avery joined next to me after throwing her travel bag down and spoke, “So this is it, the final step.”

I nodded, rolling over to face her fully, “Yes, and I couldn’t be more happy.”

“You’re stressed aren’t you?”

I frowned, not realizing she had noticed my change in mood from the time we left to pursue this ordeal. I shrugged, “How can I not be? I’m afraid for my friends.”

Her hand stroked over the curve of my hip as she smiled reassuringly, “Andy, everything’s going to be ok. We made it. We just have to get through the meeting tonight and then we’ll be safe in the Bureau.”

I was hoping she was right; I didn’t want to be out in the open one more day. I wanted to be inside the Bureau where I knew me and my friends would be safe. I was just worried about the whole “government-is-surrounding-the-Bureau” fact.

How were they planning on sneaking us in without being seen?

Soon we were heading back downstairs to make our way to meet Agent Boyd, and we were all a little on edge. This was it, there was nothing left to do besides to speak with him, and then we would be allowed to enter the Bureau, hopefully.

We typed in the address and to my surprise it was a little farther than expected, but we would still be on time. The silence in the car was deafening, but I knew there was really nothing to be said. We didn’t know what to expect from Agent Boyd, I was just hoping all of this was going to pay off.

Avery’s hand was in its usual place, resting inside mine while we sat quietly in the backseat. My mind was wandering everywhere, especially to what was awaiting us with Agent Boyd. Was there a strict procedure to entering the Bureau?

I figured there would be, I mean it’s a pretty confidential place considering they protect supernatural beings that most people didn’t know about. They protected our secrecy, but in a way I wondered why they protected that. Why couldn’t we be accepted in society?

Oh who was I kidding, if I was a regular passer-by on the street and saw someone get hit by a car and walk away unharmed I would nearly faint.