Chp. 9 "Here's the Plan"

Max was staring blankly at me, knowing that none of this made sense because how could Avery Ryan have anything to do with this?

I pushed, “I’m telling you, she’s the only one I’ve come into contact with recently… it has to be her.”

He continued to make an unsure face, “Think about it though Andy, if simply coming into skin to skin contact with the person… it could be anyone. I mean you run into people daily Andy…”

He was right. If simple contact could transfer the power to me anyone that my hand could’ve grazed in the hallway could be the culprit.

I sighed, “Ok… but like I said, I hurt myself last week and I was fine, so it had to be someone recent.”

He nodded, “So who else have you come into contact with?”

I tried thinking back to anyone I could’ve come into contact with in the halls and throughout my days but I only came up with Avery and Max. I never really walked to close to anyone enough to touch so…

Wait.

“There was this kid… I think his name was… Blake? Brandon?”

Max shrugged, letting me know I wasn’t giving him anything.

I groaned, “Uh, he has black hair, he’s new…”

“Blaine? There’s a new kid in my English class that’s new and he has black hair?”

“Yes! That’s the only other person I’ve come into physical contact with. So it’s either him or Avery.”

Max leaned back and crossed his arms, “I know nothing about this Blaine kid but he seems awfully suspicious… so we may have a suspect.”

“So how are we going to prove that it’s him?”

“We have to watch him. I’ll watch him in English class, follow him through the halls and try to see if anything happens on the way. That’s all we really can do without making a scene.”

I frowned, “That’ll take too long… I need answers.”

He sighed, “Well then we’ll have to hurt him.”

I thought about discreet ways we could do that but I was coming up short. There was no way we could harm him enough to actually gain evidence and not get caught.

“Well, we could always do it whenever it’s really crowded?”

“And the only time it’s crowded is…?”

I shrugged, “During school in the hallways.”