Chp. 20 "A Familiar Face"

I stared at myself in the mirror of my bathroom as I primped myself one last time before heading downstairs. For some odd reason I was actually wide awake even though it was 7:00 am, but I knew today was the day.

My makeup was on point, my dirty blonde hair in curls and my dress hugging my torso. It was casual yet sophisticated, and as if flowed over my stomach and thighs I felt ready to take on the world. Today I would officially graduate high school and start a completely new chapter in my life.

And Avery, my girlfriend, and Max, my best friend, would be by my side the entire time.

I realized we should probably be heading over to Avery’s soon to pick her up so I grabbed my cap and gown and ran hastily down the stairs. I felt awful that Avery’s dad wasn’t going to be there but I heard her mother and step father were coming down to see, although wouldn’t make it in time to pick her up.

So we were doing the honors.

My parents were waiting downstairs and they gasped, “Oh God… our baby is graduating today!”

I smiled as we walked out to the car, feeling my parents love wrap around me. They knew we were leaving today but they weren’t the least bit of worried about us, they knew Gage was joining us, and everyone trusted Gage. They just were kind of worried about me forgetting about them whenever I would meet my real parents…

But I would never forget them.

We sped down the road to Avery’s as I directed my dad down the mellow roads, knowing we could not fall behind on time.

I couldn’t be late to my own graduation.

I sat silently in the backseat as the hum of the radio kept my nerves calm, reality was actually starting to hit me. Not only was I graduating today but I was also leaving the state without my parents to meet my biological ones, whom I have never even spoken a full conversation too. It may seem weird to an outsider, or even Avery and Max, but they didn’t hear my mom’s voice on the other end of that phone. The way her voice had been so cheerful, as is she had known me for years. She had sounded so excited to be speaking with me, and even though we barely knew anything about each other I still felt an extremely strong connection towards her.

I wondered if my birth mom would have the same power as me, or if it would end up being my dad. I imagined how my mom would look, wondering if she was going to be the one I got most of my appearance from. I pictured them both in my head, wondering what speaking with them would be like and how they would greet me.

And then I wondered why they hadn’t tried contacting me, suddenly feeling sadness sweep through my heart.

Was it because of good, sensible reasons or was it selfish and in the moment reasons? I couldn’t process the thought of my biological parents giving up their child to people they saw as friends for selfish reasons. They just honestly didn’t seem to be the type of people to do such a thing…

But I could always be wrong.

Then I felt a hand on my knee, realizing it was just my mom, “Honey, you ok? You’re quiet back there.”