Chp. 75 "A Step Forward"

Chp. 75 “A Step Forward”

“You have to shave off my hair?” I questioned in annoyance, wondering how stupid I was going to look bald. I knew they had to do it for brain surgery but it sucked knowing I wouldn’t grow my hair back in seconds after the procedure.

Henson sighed, “Andrea, it’s just one spot, not your whole head. It’s just hair.”

I steadied my breathing as I allowed them to shave wherever they were going to have to open me up. Avery’s hand never left mine as I watched some hair fall to the ground, trying not to think about all the horrible possibilities.

Could I die during the procedure now that they were fucking with my Healing gland? What if it didn’t work?

Avery whispered, “Everything is going to be ok, trust Henson.”

I looked up at Henson who was finishing up with the razor, smiling, “Andrea, it’ll be fairly quick, don’t worry. We know what we’re going in after.”

I questioned, “How quick?”

“Maybe a couple of hours, just depending on how everything goes once were in there.”

I nodded, looking into Avery’s light comforting eyes that were letting me know she was going to be here the entire time waiting for me to wake up. She smiled slightly, allowing me to return it as Henson began getting IV’s ready for the procedure.

Everyone gave me the “Are you sure you want to do this?” speech, but I really didn’t understand why. I understood it was  pretty major surgery on a pretty important part of my brain, but it wasn’t like I couldn’t easily obtain the Healing power again if I really needed it.

I could always call Blaine up.

The more I thought about it the more I realized everything was going to be ok, and after this Avery and I would finally be free to go home. I just wanted to enjoy the rest of my summer with Avery and leave this entire summer behind me, because there honestly wasn’t much good to remember. I knew I was being quite negative, but really, could you blame me?

My girlfriend almost died, and then not long after I had found out the truth about her and her family. I cheated, got caught, and almost lost the one girl in my life that I couldn’t picture myself without. I got shot about thirty times within one single day, and to top it all off, I lost my best friend.

The aching pain returned in my chest as I thought about Max, and I closed my eyes quickly to stop the tears from coming. Every day I missed him more and more, and I was praying it would start getting easier. I was still so lost without him, as if I was missing a part of me, and technically speaking I was, because when he died I lost my electric powers.

I didn’t even have that anymore to remind me of him.

Henson signaled for me to give him my arm and I did, looking at Avery and knowing I was about to be put to sleep. I smiled, “See you when I wake up.”