Chapter 33~The Return

"You have been busy haven't you?" Mycroft said as he crumpled the newspaper in his hand.

"Moriarty's network. Took me two years to dismantle it." Sherlock said. He was reclined in a leather chair, face lathered with shaving foam.

"And you're confident you have?" Mycroft remarked.

"The Serbian side was the last piece of the puzzle." Sherlock said confidently, nonchalantly.

"Anyway," Mycroft whipped the folder he was reading shut and plopped it on the desk. "You're safe now."

"Hmm." Sherlock murmured.

Mycroft looked over at him.

"Thinking about something?" He asked.

Sherlock's face hardened, his mouth stiffening into a straight line. He paused, eyes darting back and forth doubtfully.

"How is she?" He said finally in a quiet voice.

Mycroft leaned back in his chair.

"Who? Jax?" He said.

"What other "she" would I be referring to?" Sherlock snapped.

Mycroft shrugged.

"Mrs. Hudson, Molly, one of your ridiculous cats."

"Mrs. Hudson can take care of herself, believe me," Sherlock said. "And those "ridiculous cats" have names."

"Oh, yes. What are they again? Blue Scandal? Bohemian Carbuncle?" Mycroft said just to annoy him.

"Blue Carbuncle. Bohemian Scandal." Sherlock corrected him, glaring.

Mycroft's assistant walked through the door carrying a fresh set of clothes. Sherlock stood up from the chair, clean shaven, and wiped the shaving cream from his face. As he was changing, Mycroft described to him the details of a new case.

"I need you to give this matter your full attention," Mycroft said. "Sherlock, is that quite clear?"

"What do you think of this shirt?" Sherlock said as he tucked it into his pressed pants.

"Sherlock."

"I will find your underground terror cell, Mycroft. Just put me back in London." Sherlock said. "I need to get to know the place again, breathe it in. Feel every quiver of it's beating heart."

"Oh, you'll be feeling something else when you get back to London." Mycroft said smugly.

"Jax doesn't strike me as the type for reunion sex." Sherlock replied flatly.

"That's not what I meant."

"I think she'll be pretty thrilled to see me, don't you think?" Sherlock said, looking at himself in the mirror as he adjusted his shirt collar.

"Go back to Baker Street, pop out of a cake."

"Baker Street?" Mycroft said. "She isn't there anymore. Neither is John."

Sherlock stopped and stared at him.

"Why would they be? It's been two years. They've got on with their lives."

"What lives? I've been away." Sherlock said.

"She's engaged, Sherlock."

Sherlock froze, his eyes locked on his brother.

"What?" He choked out after a moment.

"She's engaged. The wedding is in May." Mycroft handed him a file, and Sherlock opened it hurriedly. Pictures of Jax walking the streets of London, holding hands with a blurry figure seemed to burn in Sherlock's eyes.