Chapter 24~Cold Cases

It was another slow day at 221B. We had just solved the Baskerville case, and were just waiting around the flat for another one to show up. Sherlock was sitting in the kitchen, fiddling with his microscope. John was sitting in his armchair blogging about the Baskerville case, and I was sitting in Sherlock's chair, my legs hanging over the left armrest and my back against the right one.

"I don't know what I'd do if chocolate never existed." I said, staring at the ceiling.

"See, Jax is so bored she's talking nonsense again." Sherlock inquired from the kitchen.

"Well, what do you want me to do about it?" John asked exasperatedly.

"Get us a case!" Sherlock and I shouted at the same time. John sighed dramatically and picked up his laptop. He started to walk towards the door.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I give up on you two. I'm going out." John said, padding down the stairs. There was a pause of silence. Sherlock and I looked at each other.

"St. Bart's?" Sherlock asked.

"Yeah." I answered, getting up and crossing over to the door.
➳➴➵➷➸➹
"I don't see why they couldn't have happened at the same time." I said, spinning around on the chair. Sherlock was sitting at the lab table, test tubes and Petri dishes sprawled out in front of him.

"It couldn't have happened at the same time, the murder weapon was found in the fiancés flat, not at the crime scene." Sherlock explained. I nodded, thinking it over.

"I see your point." I said. "But what if-" I was interrupted as Molly came through the doors of the lab.

"Oh, hi." She said cheerfully. "I didn't know you'd be coming in today."

"We were bored. Needed stimulation." Sherlock answered, inspecting a test tube filled with green liquid. Molly chuckled.

"Well, I'm just passing through." Molly said, grabbing a clipboard.

"Jax, coffee?" Sherlock asked.

"Yes please." I replied.

"Molly, coffee please. Two sugars for me, black for Jax." Sherlock ordered.

"Okay." Molly said passively, going back out the door.
➳➴➵➷➸➹
*THIRD PERSON*
When Molly returned, Sherlock and Jax were both leaning over the table, papers and files scattered haphazardly across the top. Molly set the two cups in front of them, her eyes scanning the papers.

"What are you working on?" She asked curiously.

"Cold cases." Sherlock answered, his eyes never leaving the papers.

"Oh, right." Molly answered. "What's that?" Jax smiled.

"They're cases that haven't been solved yet." She explained. Molly nodded.

"But why do them now?" Molly asked.

"Because there are no other cases available and I'm making do. Distracts me from doing something "experimentally stupid" as Jax puts it. Please refrain from talking, Molly, it slows down the thought process." Sherlock said emotionlessly. Jax rolled her eyes.

"Don't mind him, he's in a bad mood because I wouldn't let him buy an entire pre-slaughtered cow." Jax said.

"It was for an experiment!" Sherlock whined.