Chapter 22~Dewer's Hollow

I waited at the hotel while Sherlock and John paid one more visit to Baskerville, with the help of Mycroft of course. When they returned, they filled me in on the new information they found. They had met a woman named Dr. Stapleton, who was a specialist in genetic experiments.

"The rabbit." John said, obviously annoyed. I scrunched my face in confusion.

"What rabbit?" I asked.

"Bluebell." Sherlock answered.

"What's that got to do with anything?" I asked. John seemed to be getting more annoyed with every passing second.

"Dr. Stapleton's daughter, Kirsty, the one who sent the email about the missing rabbit." John explained to me. Then I remembered it. It was on one of the days when Sherlock was complaining about not having a case. A little girl had emailed him about her missing rabbit, Bluebell. Then it clicked.

"The rabbit that glowed in the dark." I said with realization. Sherlock looked pleased that someone had finally figured it out.

"Sorry what?" John asked. Sherlock rolled his eyes.

"Bluebell, John! The missing glow in the dark rabbit, don't you see?" Sherlock snapped. John looked from Sherlock to me.

"No I don't see, Sherlock. Please explain it to my feeble and incompetent mind!" John snapped sarcastically.

"The rabbit glowed in the dark because it had been genetically enhanced." I explained.

"By Dr. Stapleton, who took Bluebell from a locked hutch." Sherlock piped in.

"And switched up the genes." I finished. John still looked confused.

"So?" He said. Sherlock rolled his eyes again.

"So, that means she performs secret genetic experiments on animals. The real question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit." I said. Sherlock grabbed his coat and scarf.

"Come on. We're going out onto the moor with Henry."
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
The moor was eerily quiet. The only sound was the wind whistling in between the rocks. The sun was setting, and Henry was following behind us anxiously. We trudged silently down the hills and valleys that led to the forest, where the Hollow awaited. The sun dipped below the horizon, making the sky a dark blue. We each held flashlights and the bright rays of light darted over the moor. I noticed that Henry's breathing was rushed, and he was walking a little closer to me than necessary. I turned to him and put a hand on his shoulder. He faced me, and I could see the uneasiness in his eyes. I smiled at him.

"Everything gonna be fine. Trust me." I said. Sherlock turned to look at us for a moment, and something flickered in his eyes. Sherlock and John walked ahead of us.

"I don't know about those two chuckleheads," I said jokingly, gesturing to Sherlock and John. I pulled up my shirt slightly to show the gun in its holster.

"But I don't miss." I said seriously. Henry looked deeply into my eyes and nodded, trying to reassure himself. I patted him on the back and followed Sherlock and John. When we reached the forest, the sky was black and the rustling of the trees replaced the eerie silence of the moor. Sherlock's strides were determined, and Henry followed behind him hastily. John and I fell back, whispering quietly to each other.

"Do you think there really is a hound?" John asked.

"Maybe, there are some pretty freaky mutations out there. I mean, look at me." I replied. John turned to face me.

"You're not a mutation." He said seriously. I looked at him. A small smile crossed my face.

"Thanks, John." I said. A rustling of bushes made us whip our heads around.