Chapter 7~Puzzles

"Clostridium botulinum!" Sherlock shouted, slamming his hands down on the table.

"It's one of the deadliest poisons on the planet." He continued. John entered the room, looking confused. Sherlock shot up, going over to the shoelaces hanging from a wire with the rest of the shoe parts.

"It could be easily introduced into his medication. Two hours later, he comes up to London and the poison takes effect. Paralyzing the muscles and he drowns." Sherlock explained, typing rapidly into his computer. He typed an update on his blog reading: Found. Pair of trainers belonging to Carl Powers (1978-1989). Botulinum poison still preserved. Apply to 221B Baker Street.

"Get the bomber's attention." Sherlock muttered. "Stop the clock." The pink phone rang. Sherlock answered it and the crying woman sobbed over the line. She begged for someone to come and find her and John phoned Lestrade. Thus closing the case of Carl Powers, much to my relief.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
We were back at Scotland Yard. As Sherlock and Lestrade talked over the case, I stared out the window. This is too familiar. He's targeting Sherlock. My mind wandered off to a faraway place, the gears in my head whirring.

"We've found it!" Lestrade shouted, bringing me out of my thinking state.

"What?" I said, confused as to what was happening. Sherlock rolled his eyes and grabbed my wrist, pulling me out of my chair and out the door. He dragged me out of the building and into a cab, John right behind us. He didn't inform me on what was happening until we arrived at our destination.

"He's sent me another puzzle. Eight hours to figure it out." Sherlock said as we walked through the almost empty parking lot. It was taped off with police tape and police cars surrounded the area. I perked up, becoming interested.

"What's the puzzle?" I asked.

"Ian Monkford. Hired a car from Janus Cars and it ended up here, covered in his blood. No body found yet." Sherlock explained.

"What do you have on him?" Sherlock asked. I scanned my file on Ian Monkford.

"Born October 6, 1983. City boy, banker. Married to Helen Scott. Unhappily though. Up to his eyeballs in debt. Status: Unimportant." I informed him. Sherlock's eyes darted back and forth. He suddenly walked up to Monkford's wife, leaving me and John by the car.

"Wow. How do you keep all that information?" John asked curiously. I chuckled sadly. You don't want to know. I was saved from answering his question when Sherlock walked back up to us.

"Something's up. She's in on it. Come on. We're going to Janus Cars." Sherlock said, walking away.
➳➴➵➶➷➸
I would inform you on the trip to Janus Cars and the conversation with the owner, Mr. Ewart, but to be honest I dozed off for most if it. Sherlock took care of the deductions, and I didn't offer any help. I was letting him have his fun. Besides, these "puzzles" that were being directed to him were suspiciously familiar and I wanted to stay out of it, if at all possible. We traveled to the place where the car was being temporarily kept as Sherlock delivered his final explanation. He elucidated that Ian Monkford was in some sort of financial trouble, so he hired Janus Cars to help him disappear. Gave a pint of his blood to spread on the seats. His wife was in on it too. Sherlock solved the puzzle.

"I am on fire!" He exclaimed as we exited the alleyway. Once we were back at the flat, Sherlock updated his blog, and the hostage called him. Letting him know where he was. Thus concluding the case of Janus Cars. As I was sitting in my room that night, I was thinking hard about the recent days events. Why is he targeting Sherlock? Why is he being so patient? There was a knock at my bedroom door. When I opened it, John was standing there. He handed me a sealed envelope.