Chapter 1~Interesting Introductions

~1 hour earlier~
Sherlock and John drove along the desolate road. The car Mycroft had provided for them hummed as they drove in comfortable silence. John leaned against the seat, staring out the window. The side of the road was a green valley, no houses, no towns. Nothing.

"Remind me again why we are in the middle of nowhere?" John asked his friend. The consulting detective kept his eyes on the road as he drove.

"It's for a case." He replied simply. John rolled his eyes. That was Sherlock's answer for everything. He recalled the events of this morning. Sherlock was slouching on the couch, still in his pajamas. John was sitting in his chair, reading the newspaper. Sherlock was complaining that there were no cases. It was driving John crazy. He was seriously contemplating giving Sherlock his cigarettes just to shut him up. They had just finished the case of The Blind Banker and John's blog was starting to get popular. Then Mycroft had showed up out of nowhere. He had offered Sherlock a case, a small one. It was in a government facility where he suspected some illegal things were going on. Sherlock had only agreed because it was the only thing to keep him occupied. So, here they were. Driving down the empty road to yet another case John was getting dragged along to.

"Will this take long?" John blurted out. Sherlock rolled his eyes.

"Probably not. The only reason I'm going is because my brain was practically rotting. And you wouldn't give me my cigarettes." Sherlock replied snappily.

"Oh, quit complaining. At least you have a case. Who knows, maybe you'll find something interesting." John suggested.

"Not likely." Sherlock said. John smiled at his friend's childishness. Little did they know, that this visit to the supposedly ordinary government facility would in fact be interesting. Very interesting.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
Some thirty minutes later, they were pulling up to the gates. A big white building towered in front of them, surrounded by barbed wire fences. Men in black uniforms marched around the perimeter, carrying guns under their arms. Sherlock swiped the unlimited access keycard Mycroft had given him, and the gates swung open. He quickly parked the car and they jumped out. In an instant, a man in a white lab coat was by their side. His hair was gray and cut short, a set of glasses resting on the tip of his nose. He looked them up and down skeptically.

"Who are you? Why are you here?" He asked. Sherlock's eyes scanned him. Unhappily married. Two small dogs. Drinking habit.

"Inspection. Mycroft Holmes sent us." Sherlock said, brushing past him and walking up to the doors. John followed him as Sherlock swiped the card on the scanner. The small screen flashed green and read: Access Granted. The man bustled up to them.

"We aren't due for an inspection for another month." He stuttered. Sherlock ignored him as he entered the sterile looking building.

"We were just sent by Mycroft Holmes." John said. John hurried to catch up to Sherlock. The man in the lab coat grabbed the card from Sherlock's hand and inspected it. Sherlock raised his eyebrows. The man grunted and handed the card back.

"What have you come to inspect?" He asked.

"Everything." Sherlock replied, beginning to walk down the hall again. They passed a few doors, peering inside for only a moment. Most of the rooms contained file cabinets or computer screens. They passed one door in particular that had a sign on the door reading TOP SECRET: SPECIALISTS ONLY. Sherlock did a double take. He noticed that the keypad next to the door had three password requirements.

"What's in there?" Sherlock asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. The man in the lab coat whipped his head around.

"That's top secret information. You are not allowed in there." He snapped. The corner of Sherlock's mouth quirked.