Chapter 18~Dangerous Disadvantage

I walked up the steps to the flat, grocery bags in my hands. I set the bags down in the kitchen. I froze. Something's off, I thought. I sniffed the air. Women's perfume. I went over to the window, brushing my fingers along the sill. Opened from the outside. I looked around the flat, looking for something else unusual. I cautiously walked up the steps to my bedroom, peeking inside. I entered the room, my eyes fixed on the bed. I heard Sherlock's and John's footsteps walking up the stairs to the living room.

"Sherlock. John." I called. They came up to my room.

"We have a client." I said.

"In your bedroom?" John asked. They laid eyes on what was in my bed.

"Oh..." John said. Sherlock narrowed his eyes, thinking. Irene Alder was sound asleep in my bed, her hands pillowing her head. Her long black hair was down, her face free of makeup. I crossed my arms.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
We were all sitting in the living room. Irene Alder was in Sherlock's blue dressing gown, sitting in his chair.

"So, who's after you this time?" I asked.

"People who want to kill me." She replied.

"Who's that?" Sherlock asked.

"Killers." Irene said with a smirk.

"It would help if you were a tiny bit more specific." John said.

"So you faked your own death to get ahead of them." Sherlock said.

"It worked for a while." Irene said.

"Until you let John know, and therefore Jax and I." Sherlock said.

"I knew you two would keep my secret." She said.

"You couldn't." I remarked.

"But you did, didn't you." She said, with a look my way.

"Where's my camera phone?" She asked. "If they've guessed you've got it they'll be watching you."

"If they've been watching me then they'll know that I took a safety deposite box at a bank on the Strand a few months ago." Sherlock said.

"I need it." Irene said.

"Well, we can't just go and get it." John said. He then proceeded to ramble about an elaborate and cautious plan for retrieving the phone.

"Excellent, John. Very intelligent precautions." Sherlock said, getting the camera phone out of his pocket. Irene stood up.

"So, what do you keep on here? In general, I mean." Sherlock said.

"Pictures, information, anything I might find useful." She said.

"For blackmail?" John accused.

"For protection. I make my way in the world, I misbehave. I like to know people will be on my side exactly when I need them to be." She said.

"And how do you acquire this information?" Sherlock asked.

"I told you. I misbehave." She replied.

"But now you've acquired something that's more danger than protection. Do you know what it is?" Sherlock asked.

"Yes. But I don't understand it." She said.

"That should be assumed." I muttered, obviously annoyed. Irene just smiled at me.

"Show me." Sherlock said. Irene held out her hand.

"The passcode." Sherlock said. She didn't say anything, just extended her hand further. Sherlock handed over the phone. She typed in a number, and the phone beeped negatively.