41. Sistah Sistah

Start from the beginning

I'll refrain from telling you how many times I walked in on my parents...mating.

My mom was just sitting on her bed staring at nothing in particular. It reminded me of how Aniya was last night.

"Ma." I spoke trying to get her attention, but she just sat there like she didn't hear me.

"Mom." I tried again, but I still didn't get a response.

I gave up on getting my mother's attention and just sat beside her. After a few more moments of silence, my mother finally spoke.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?"

I looked at my mother like she was crazy.

"I should be asking you that question."

My mom went back to being silent and I sighed. Why is she being so weird?

"I need to tell you something."

I know Aniya said I shouldn't tell, but I couldn't keep that to myself. Those monsters were probably in my house at this very moment. They didn't even deserve to breathe the same air as Aniya, yet they were. They acted as if they never hurt her. They had everyone fooled for years. Well, not anymore.

My mother looked at me like she was listening, so I continued.

"Last night-"

"If this is about you and Nadia, I already know." She cut me off and I felt my face heat up.

"How?" I asked and she chuckled.

"Don't worry about that, just know that when I get the energy, I'm beating your ass for disrespecting my house. And you're sleeping downstairs with me for the rest of the break." She spoke making me groan.

"That's not even what I wanted to tell you and you promised you'd never whoop me again." I reminded her and she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Who said anything about a whooping? I said I'm beating your ass." My mother obviously joked, but it made me feel uneasy.

"I really need to tell you something." I reiterated and she gave me an expectant look.

"Last night," I started again, "Aniya-"

I was cut off by my cousin bursting into my mother's room with red eyes and tear stained cheeks.

"When where you going to tell me that I was adopted?" Aniya asked throwing some papers at my mother, but they got caught in the air and floated onto the floor.

My mom looked taken aback at the sudden interruption.

"Why the fuck did you give me away!? Do you know what I went through because of you!?" Aniya's voice broke as she yelled at my mother.

"Yo, watch how the fuck you talk to my momma, man. That shit is unnecessary." I said in my mother's defense.

"She's my momma too, dumbass!"

Aniya's words confused me.

"Aunt Nyla is your mom." I said unsure of my words.

Aniya forced out a laugh at my words.

"That bitch can't even have kids. She's fucking infertile. Tell her, auntie...I mean momma."

I turned to my mother and the tears in her eyes said everything.

"Here, since she's too shaken up to speak."

Aniya picked up the papers and gave them to me. The top paper was a copy of her original birth certificate. My parent's names were in the respective places for the signatures of the child's parents. The paper beneath was an adoption certificate and the paper beneath that was a paper another birth certificate, but it was an original. My parents names were on that as well but it looked different from the first copy that I saw. The third paper confused me.