It's not kindness (Au!Jean Kirstein x Deaf!Oc)

Hollie was deaf, it was no secret. She wasn't ashamed of it either, well, not entirely. She knew that it was not her fault that she was deaf but sometimes it really got on her nerves. People also loved to tease her about it and pity her. Luckily, she wasn't alone in her plight to set people straight on how she felt about being deaf. 

Enter Jean Kirstein.

Hollie had met Jean when they were just five years old. Of course Jean had no idea that she couldn't hear him when he spoke to her and this resulted in Hollie's sandcastle being kicked down. Jean expected her to cry and run off. Jean didn't expect her to turn around and give him a devastating punch to the jaw. 

Needless to say, after the misunderstanding was cleared up by their mothers the two became the best of friends. As the years passed Jean had pretty much been the only constant in her life. The only thing that stayed the same no matter what and because of that Hollie was grateful to him.

During the Spring of 2013 Hollie's parents divorced. As it was right now Hollie was sitting in her yard ripping up grass and trying not to cry. Her father was moving out and it was anything but pleasant in the days leading up to the moving van parking in their yard.

Hollie's Pov

Hollie bites her bottom lip to keep the tears from flowing. One good thing about being deaf was that Hollie couldn't hear her parents fighting and screaming at one another. However it didn't block out the fact that her parents were splitting up. 

Feeling someone sit beside her Hollie doesn't have to look up to know who it is. An arm goes around her and Hollie turns her face into Jean's chest. She's sure he's whispering comforting words into her ear, forgetting for a moment that she was deaf. Still, it was a comforting gesture on his part. 

Finally though Jean takes Hollie's face between thumb and first finger, bringing her head up to look at him so she can make out what's he's saying to her. 

"How are you doing?" He asks.

Hollie shakes her head, "How am I supposed to be? I mean my family is splitting up and my father is leaving."

"Yeah okay. That was a stupid question on my part. How about we go out somewhere and get away from this? My mom is nagging at me and I just broke up with Mikasa."

Hollie goes rigid, "What? Why!? I mean I thought you were in love with her or something!"

Jean has her look up at him again so that she can read his lips, "I did too but we figured out that we both like other people."

"Oh, I see-." The front door slams and Hollie flinches at the vibrations. Hollie's father storms past her and yells something back at the house. "Okay, let's go. I don't want to be around here anymore."

Jean smiles and pulls Hollie to her feet. Standing up they walk next door to Jean's house and Jean disappears inside for a moment. He comes back out grinning and twirling the keys to his car around on a finger. Going over to the car he unlocks it and the two get it. Digging the key into the ignition, he starts up the car and then they're heading toward the center of town.

Going to the center of town was a quiet jaunt. The two of them learned long ago that with the angle Jean's face it at while he drives Hollie couldn't read his lips well enough to tell what he was saying. So the two preferred to just stay silent until they got to places. 

Hollie rolls her head over and watches Jean. She'd be lying if didn't think Jean was good looking. In fact he was gorgeous and kind and funny and smart. Yeah, Hollie realized a long time ago that she had a crush on her best friend. However, respecting the relationship that he was already in Hollie stayed away from being overt with her newfound affections. Still, perhaps now that he was single she would stand a chance.