35. Silence

AN : Chapter set up along the lines of the current story with my made up problem. Haha also with the arrival of a certain diabolical villain ;)

-------------

I noticed a slight terse behavior on the part of my stone cold employer since the arrival of his arch nemesis, Lord Dalgliesh. His presence made an impending threat looming in the air all the time. And since his recent knowledge that I, the nobody Miss Lillian Linton was acquainted with Mr Ambrose and was invited to his parents' house, his lethal stare to me everyday was hard to miss. Nevertheless, Mr Ambrose had his guards with me all the time, especially Karim. But still, this was Dalgliesh. He could kill an entire nation yet nobody would doubt him because he was the peer of the realm.

Peer of the realm, my derrière!

Dining times were even worse as the three of them, all male Ambroses inclusive would indulge in a glaring contest of who would burn the other two into ashes first. Nobody won but the people who had knowledge of this animosity didn't eat as well. The tense atmosphere was too thick for us to be eating peacefully.

We had just been sitting for dinner and Mr Ambrose and his enemies for the contest when Lord Dalgliesh abruptly got up from his seat, his face plastering a sickly, sweet, gentlemanly smile.

'Well, excuse me everyone. I need to get some fresh air. It is too suffocating in here, wouldn't you agree?' He said giving two glances in my direction. The other people who seemed to have no rift against Lord Dalgliesh attested to his belief but others knew better.

The minute he left the room, it felt like an entire ton of tension had been relieved from the air. Mr Ambrose's shoulders relaxed by a millimetre, at least. I slowly crept my hand on his thigh, running it up and down in slow motion,in order to relieve his tension. I felt his muscles tense more with my touch and his eyes flicker to mine, before finally relaxing.

I smiled to myself knowing that I have as much effect on him as he has on me.

Some time later Mr Ambrose too walked away from the table.

Now it's much less icier.

I thought as I started with my food. After all, why should I compromise on my food because of some egotistical people who think too highly of their gender?

*

Everyone had retired for the night in their own rooms, well expect for me. I didn't go to my room. During this entire ordeal with Dalgliesh, Mr Ambrose insisted that I sleep in his room with him, because then he'll know I'll be safe. I, of course, declined at first. Why would I need protection from him? But then the benefits of the night came with that and my protests began to stop until they were no more. Besides, cuddling and sleeping with Mr Ambrose somehow brought a pleasant morning, don't ask how but it did. He was actually very comfortable to sleep with, even though he was extremely muscled and hard all over.

I smiled at the fact as I went to sleep on the bed. But halted in my steps as I felt a shooting pain in my stomach. I pressed a hand against it to control it, but it won't go.I somehow carried myself to bed, with my hand still pressed and tried to pacify the pain by drinking some water in a hurry for I couldn't really see what it was. Accidentally, I might have dropped Mr Ambrose's things.

'Mr Linton, the things you've dropped, the cost- Miss Linton!' His earlier sentence was vanished in the air as he came out of the bathroom, seeing me balled up in my own mess on the bed. I heard rushing footsteps and then his hand was suddenly on my back, soothingly running it up and down. 'Are you well?' His voice was ice cold but I heard a trace of worry, it was minor but it was there.