Chapter Twelve

~ Chapter Twelve ~

Ellie's P.O.V.

"Ellie! Wake up! We have to leave! God damn, wake up!"

I was violently shaken to the point at which my eyes had to be forced open.

"What's your problem today?" The words coming out of my mouth were slurred, it was part of my morning routine. Carl was on his knees beside me, a frantic look on his face. I noticed that he had an axe in hand, and with that, I stood up from the ground. "What happened?"

"There's a bunch of walkers coming from the East, we couldn't hold them for long, we have to get out! This place is going to be overrun!" He informed, getting up and slinging a backpack over his shoulder. I did the same with my belongings.

"But, what about Terminus?" I asked as Carl and I caught up with the group.

"The herd was coming from the East, same direction as Terminus. Joel said we couldn't risk it."

I shook my head disappointed and looked around. We were missing one person. The soil was completely dry which was unfortunate since we couldn't track anyone's footprints.

"Where's Aaron?" Finn questioned.

"Shit, he went about to do his business. I'll go find him, he'll be around here somewhere," Harvey muttered.

"I'm not letting you go in there alone," Joel stated, getting his axe out and ready. "Alright, Harvey and I will go and look for that boy."

"But what about me?" I asked as they were leaving.

"Just stay put right here," Joel instructed.

After they left for the forest, I let out an infuriated groan. It was frustrating having to 'take a rest' after a wound. You get shot in the arm once and everyone thinks you're disabled for life.

"Walker!" Rick screamed, and everyone was alert. I took action, grabbed my pistol and shot the infected right between its eyes. "Let's not use our guns just yet, we need to save our ammo. If-When we make it out of here, we're going to need bullets for when we get to the highway."

"The highway?" I asked, still confused about everything going on around me. All I knew was that a herd of them came from the direction of Terminus.

"We're thinking of abandoning this place, anywhere is better than here. Joel said he was okay with that plan too," Finn informed, holding on to his daughter tight.

"Dad! Guys! There are three more, and five behind them!" Carl yelled, getting us to turn around. My first instict was to shoot them - despite Rick's clear orders - but my pistol was already empty. Frustrated, I shoved the gun back in my pocket and took out a kitchen knife from my bag. With that, I pushed an infected backwards and once it was on the ground I stabbed it's head, right above the left eyebrow. Feeling satisfied, I took my knife back, cleaning off the blood with my sleeve.

"We can't hold out any longer, it's either Joel and Harvey come back with Aaron within the next minute, or we become live bait," Rick spoke, gunning down two more infected. So much for saving bullets, I sighed. "If they don't... We have no other option."

My eyes went wide with fury, "What are you trying to say here?" But I already knew the answer; I just wanted to give him a chance to reconsider his thought.

"We're going to have to leave them if we want to stay alive," he replied, giving a sigh and reloading his magnum. I shook my head numerous times, showing him my refusal to agree.

"That's not an option! We don't leave them here! They need to stay alive too!" I started yelling. It was the only way to get the point through him. Rick closed his eyes and wiped his sweaty forehead with his hands, exhausted. I couldn't blame him, everyone was drained.

"Ellie!"

Before I had a chance to react, a pair of hands grabbed my leg from behind. I was taken down, fell face first on the ground. A gunshot went off, but it didn't stop the infected. All of a sudden, I felt a sting of pain on my right calf. With a loud yelp, I tried kicking, blind to whatever was behind me. Another gunshot went, and this time, the person didn't miss. The hand that was once grabbing my leg had now let go.

I tried standing up, but my right leg wouldn't cooperate. I fell to the ground on my side and took a closer look at what happened.

"Holy shit. She's bit."