Chapter Fifty One

~ Chapter Fifty One ~

Ellie's P.O.V.

There were three days left until we had to leave on the helicopter. Every emotional attachment had been arranged with me, and as for Carl - I had no idea how things were going with Michonne and his dad. It took Joel around a whole day to warm up to the idea of me leaving without him, but Layla helped me in convincing him that I would be fine. Maria gave me her sharpest dagger - with a holster - to keep myself safe on the journey. Everyone else that I'd befriended had no idea what was even happening. The vaccine was to be kept a secret for now until it could be made readily available for the whole world.

Biting my nails as poor habit, I was in my room procrastinating when I heard Carl knock on the door. In a hurry, I opened it and let him in. When he exhaled of relief, I sighed and knew that it had been a good talk. "How did it go?"

"Well, of course they're both not happy, but I am technically seventeen now and have 'matured greatly over the year'," he mimicked Michonne's voice terribly. "But anyways, they finally let me. It wasn't a fun conversation, but I'm allowed to go."

"Really?" I asked, ecstatic.

"Really," Carl assured me with a smile no other could replace. "Come on, Damien's got this picnic lunch scheduled for everyone. He said there would even be cake."

My stomach grumbled at the instant thought of cake. In the community, it was only ever made on New Year's, but I guess it was a really special event. Well, technically we just found a vaccine to the infection that ruined billions of peoples' lives. Surely it would be special and a cause for silent celebration.

Carl and I walked out of the building and towards the indoor park. There was an indoor everything in the community, most specialized for winter occasions.

"There they are!" Damien smiled, standing up on the fake grass. "Let's get started with our meal!"

"The two of you better not have done anything in that sly room of yours," Joel raised his eyebrow. His remark caused me to feel fire in my cheeks, Carl only squeezed my hand tighter and laughed.

While eating lunch I had many thoughts run through my head, mostly thoughts about what life will be like here in the community while Carl and I are away. Uriah told us it'd be a month at the least, depending on if they were succesful or not.

"Are you scared of heights?" Michonne asked in the middle of biting her sandwich.

"No," I replied, stuffing my mouth with carrots. "But I am scared of drowning and terrified at the thought of oceanic creatures."

"Well, the oceans are the most unknown in this world," Rick agreed.

"And everyone's afraid of the unknown," Damien spoke. "Anyways, let's talk about what we gathered here for."

"The helicopter's ready and we just found extra fuel down at a ditch yesterday," Uriah informed. "Trevor's well educated on flying so you need not worry. Here are the files you need for Mr. Tran. He will provide you with shelter and food. If anything goes wrong, tell Trevor and he will contact us asap via the copper's radio. Other than that, pack light so you burn less fuel, stay safe and be smart."

Carl and I nodded at each other with comforting assurance that we would be safe.

When everyone finished their meal, Joel stood up and walked away. I furrowed my eyebrows and glanced at Layla for any hint of what he was up to, but she gave no clue. He came back shortly, hands behind his back and a wide grin on his face. "While you were off risking your life to try and save the world, we had the pleasure to make this for you. Technically it was Carl's idea, but it was I who made it happen. We'll really miss you Ellie."