Chapter 70

In the weeks before the Tonys were announced, Kasey and Jace went out on a date together. It was their last time before the storm that was the Tony Awards. Once the nominations came out, they would all be wrapped up with press and performances. They probably wouldn't really see each other unless they were at home in their apartment. 

"I can't believe it's almost Tony season again," Kasey commented as they sat down at a table.

"Same," Jace agreed. "It seems like DEH was just up for nomination, and we're the ones who are up for nomination. I'd forgotten how stressful this is."

"I'm excited. I really want Jess to be nominated," Kasey said. "She's worked so hard. She deserves it."

"What about yourself?" Jace asked.

"Of course it would be amazing to be nominated, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. It's my first time as a leading actress on Broadway- I doubt that I'll be nominated. Plus, the competition is pretty intense."

"I think you'll be nominated," Jace said confidently. "Both of our shows will do well."

"May I take your order?" the waiter asked, walking over. 

"Sure, I'll have the house salad, please," Kasey requested. "Can I get it without radishes?"

"Of course, miss. And you, sir?" 

"I'll have the steak, medium rare," Jace told him. "Thank you very much."

After the waiter left, they resumed talking. Conversation drifted from the Tony awards to the movies that were coming out, and then to their favorite candies. 

Dinner seemed to go by too quickly, even though they both tried to eat as slowly as possible. It was relaxing, to just sit in each other's company, without all the hassle of rehearsals and shows. That didn't happen enough anymore, now that their careers were truly taking off. 

"We should go back to that waterfall sometime," Jace suggested. "That's still one of my favorite places."

"Mine, too," Kasey agreed. "It's amazing up there."

"We'll go soon, before the Tony craziness starts," Jace promised. 

"Good," Kasey laughed. "That'll be fun. As long as we don't end up having another water fight."

"I can't promise that," Jace said, giving Kasey a wink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One day, while Kasey was at rehearsal, Jace hurried over to the loft. He felt a little awkward going over without Kasey, but it was something that had to be done.

He knocked on the door, which was decorated, presumably by Kasey and Carleigh when they first moved in.

Carleigh opened it after a few seconds. 

"Jace, hi," she said, eyebrows raised. "What's up? Is Kasey okay?"

"Of course, yeah," he reassured her. "I realize this may be a little weird, but I have a problem, and I think you can help me."

Carleigh frowned, but opened the door wider, allowing Jace enough room to step inside. "I'm not sure about that, but come in."

They sat down in the little living room area- Jace didn't know it, but he'd chosen the seat that Kasey had usually picked to sit in.

He cleared his throat awkwardly. Carleigh considered him, her head tilted to the side.

"I hope you're doing okay, now that Kasey's out," Jace said. 

"Whatever it is, just tell me. I'm not going to beat you up or anything," Carleigh told him. "Unless you hurt her or something."

"No, it's not that."

"What is it, then?"

"I want to propose to Kasey," Jace blurted finally. "And I'm asking your permission."

Carleigh's eyes widened. "You're asking me for permission?" she managed to get out. 

"You're her best friend, and I know how much it would mean to her," Jace explained. "And, I know her family's not around anymore. You're the closest thing she's got. And I think of you as a friend, too. There's no one else that I would even consider asking permission from."

"I'm honored," Carleigh said finally, tears glistening in her brown eyes. "Obviously I want you to. There's no other relationship that I've ever admired more. You're perfect for each other. You get her in ways no other guy could. You respect her, I know that."

Jace let out a relieved breath. "Thank you, Carleigh."

"It means a lot, that you asked me," Carleigh said earnestly. "Truly."

"Please don't tell her."

"Of course I won't," Carleigh snorted. "I'm not a monster. I wouldn't ruin an amazing proposal."

Jace grinned. "And, um, I wanted your opinion on a ring..."

He unlocked his phone and showed Carleigh the ring designs he'd been considering.

"They're all pretty, but you know Kasey isn't a flashy person. Pick something simple, but classy," Carleigh suggested. "But I think she'll be happy with any ring you give her. And I know she'll say yes."

They stood up. Jace blinked when Carleigh hugged him. 

"Thank you for everything you've done for her," she told him.