Phone Swap/ Chi Reherasal(29)

Kasey decided to go back to her hotel instead of staying backstage. She didn't want to mess someone up by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and she was tired.

She hadn't checked her phone since she left the apartment in New York City, and she had promised Carleigh that she would text when she got back to the hotel.

When she opened the phone, it took her a second to figure out what had happened.

The lockscreen wasn't hers.

It was the picture of her and Carleigh at the Tony Awards- the same one that hung in Carleigh's bedroom. It was a picture that Kasey had in her phone but not as her lockscreen.

Kasey's actual lockscreen was when Carleigh made her Eliza debut. She was in Eliza's costume for 'Schuyler Sisters', and Kasey was in her normal ensemble costume.

They had switched phones. By accident.

Kasey should have known that this would happen- they had the same phone case, and they usually put their phones right next to each other on the kitchen table when they were both home. It was just something they'd done for a while.

She had grabbed the one that she thought was hers, but apparently it wasn't.

Luckily, her fingerprint was in Carleigh's phone, so she didn't have to try and remember Carleigh's passcode.

She quickly opened the messaging app and clicked on her own name. Which felt strange. 

Carleigh: hey, carleigh, this is kasey, i have your phone, so don't freak out.

Kasey: i was wondering what happened haha, it's fine.

Carleigh: we can try and get them back to each other before i come back if you desperately need your phone for something?

Kasey: no, it's okay! just take good care of it, don't drop it in water or something. you can post on my instagram if you want.

Carleigh: alright, same goes for you :) we can make a whole adventure out of this i'm sure. snoop as much as you feel like, there's nothing on there that i need to keep a secret, so you're fine.

Kasey: that applies to you too. i don't care honestly, it's funny and fun and i'm excited now

Carleigh: good. i'm going to sleep, the flight was long

Kasey: alright, talk to you later kase :)

~~~~~~~~

The next day began Kasey's very short career in Hamilton Chicago. Somehow, the ensemble girls had gotten everyone to assemble onstage for Kasey's very own put-in rehearsal.

Holly did the same track that Kasey had on Broadway, so at least they were dancing in similar locations.

Gabby, the dance captain, made them run through each song, with Kasey doing her Broadway choreography first. Surprisingly, most of it was fairly accurate. Kasey remembered most of what she was supposed to be doing, which was good.

"Okay, the Broadway choreography is pretty close to ours. We just need to correct some minor details and you'll be all set," Gabby told Kasey. "How does it feel, to be a Hamilton Chi cast member?"

"It's so weird to be back, honestly," Kasey admitted. "But it's so cool, because there's stuff that's different about your show that didn't happen in Broadway. I wouldn't really have noticed if I were just watching."

"Also, I love your phone case," Peanut added. They were all sitting in a circle onstage, getting notes. Even the Chicago cast members were- they were just treating it like a normal rehearsal, except for the fact that Kasey was there instead of Holly.

"Thanks, funny story, this isn't my phone," Kasey laughed.

"What?!"

"Carleigh and I got each other the same phone case for Christmas, and we accidentally swapped phones when I flew over here. So I have Carleigh's, and I have permission to Instagram and Snapchat, surprisingly."

"You totally need to give Holly the phone so she can take a video of you rehearsing," Candace suggested. "And just drop subtle hints that you're going to be in the show on Thursday, but don't confirm it. Let the fans circulate rumors."

"You're so evil, Candace!" Ari exclaimed.

"Trust me, the fans will love it," Candace said, flicking her hand nonchalantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours later, and Kasey had learned more than half of the show with Gabby while everyone else rested up for their show.

Holly had recorded Kasey running 'Schuyler Sisters', with the Chicago cast just sitting on the sides singing, and posted it.

@bettcm: episode one of the kasey winslow takeover: #schuylersisters #angelica #eliza #andpeggy

Only about a minute after Holly posted the video on Kasey's behalf, fans were commenting.

i thought that kasey was doing frozen?! unless she's returning to broadway?

is she going back to hamilton?

YESS KASEY'S GOING BACK ON BROADWAY

no one is commenting on the fact that kasey has carleigh's phone...

I don't think it's broadway. you can't see any of the people singing but i'm pretty sure that it's not lexi who's singing eliza's part. it's either solea or ari, but i thought kasey was in new york city doing frozen. 

"Doing great, Kasey! They think you're going back on Broadway!" Holly called after Kasey finished 'Schuyler Sisters'.

The cast dispersed after Kasey ran a few more numbers with Gabby to get ready for their show, and Kasey went to her hotel room to change.

She returned an hour later, wearing her dark red pants, a white shirt, her blazer, and her British scarf, to watch the show.

She sat in the mezzanine, near the front. It was an amazing view, and just looking at the stage gave her the chills. She missed Hamilton, even though she loved Frozen. This was turning out to be a great vacation choice.

Kasey took a selfie before the show, with the stage in the background. She purposefully made it impossible to tell which stage it was- it could have been Broadway, Chicago, or the tour. And she didn't post her location, either.

@bettcm: kasey- episode 2 of the takeover: here to see my hamfam at it once again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The show was amazing. She was extremely impressed, and loved the Chicago version just as much as Broadway's version. All the actors were at the top of their game.

The fact that she'd made friends with everyone onstage made it so much more entertaining and meaningful to watch the show. She could keep track of Holly's choreography and what she did onstage so she had a better idea of what to do when she went on.

All of the leads, the ensemble, the pit, everything was fantastic.

Chicago was representing Hamilton very well.