Chapter 47

The show was over. Kasey waited in the wings for her curtain call. The cheers were almost deafening, and she could see that every single person in the audience was standing up. People were whistling and cheering.

Kasey's cue for her bow came in the music. She ran out, taken aback by the swell of sound that greeted her when she stepped into view. She swore she could hear Oak yell 'Go Kasey' from somewhere in the audience. She bowed quickly, and then motioned toward Jess, who took her own bow. 

Then, the cast formed one huge line. Kasey clasped hands with Sebastian. She couldn't believe their first show was already over. It seemed like seconds ago that she was waiting in the wings for her first scene.

She led the bow, finally letting herself relax. The pressure was gone. They could take a breath. Gary wasn't here to yell at them anymore.

The creative walked onstage to cheers from the audience. Kristen and Robert handed the four leading actors bouquets of flowers. Blue and pink confetti showered down on the cast.

"Thank you for coming," Kristen said. The cast gathered together as she spoke. "I never imagined the success of the movie, much less dreamed of Frozen becoming a Broadway musical. I owe so much thanks to all the creative heads- Emmaline, Stephen, Micheline, Matt, Ryan, Christophe. You have put so much effort and care into this show, and you have made something truly wonderful."

"And thank you to all of you, for causing the great popularity that is Frozen. This would have never happened without you."

"Here's to many years on Broadway," Kristen finished. The audience burst into applause. Kasey squeezed Jess's hand. 

They'd done it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the curtain closed, the cast could only linger for a moment onstage before scattering to their dressing rooms to get ready for the after party. 

Kasey quickly undid her pincurls and pulled out her dress. Carleigh came to her dressing room a moment later to help her with everything else.

"You were amazing," Carleigh announced as soon as she walked in. "This show is just mind blowing. It's truly fantastic."

"Thanks," Kasey said, hugging Carleigh. 

"Now, let's get you into this dress," Carleigh clapped her hands together. She helped Kasey step into her dress and then zipped it up. "Will Jace be at the party?"

"I think so," Kasey said.

Once Carleigh finished touching up the dress, she turned Kasey to face the mirror.

Kasey was quiet for a moment, staring at herself. Her reflection had changed. She was grown-up now. She'd looked at herself in the mirror before, but she'd never really looked. Now, in this fancy dress, it suddenly hit her. She was a grown-up. 

"What are you thinking about?" Carleigh asked gently.

"I don't know, it's weird that my parents aren't here right now," Kasey admitted, feeling dampness at the corners of her eyes. 

"They watched anyway," Carleigh said softly. "They were here, and they are so, so proud. Believe me. I know you miss them, but just know that even though they won't walk through that door, they'll be with you every step of the way. Tonight, tomorrow night, every night."

"It's weird to think if that night had been different, if my dad had just driven one kilometer slower, they'd be standing right here. My brother would be here. They would have been in the audience. They could have watched me perform."

"Maybe that's true, but I don't think you would have been the same Kasey that I love now," Carleigh answered, while grabbing the brush and gently running it through Kasey's hair. 

"And you wouldn't be here."

"No, probably not."

Kasey took a deep breath, gathering herself. She dabbed the tears out of her eyes. "Alright, I'm good now."

"Good, because you have a party to attend," Carleigh said. She twisted Kasey's hair into a fancy bun and slid the sparkly hair clips into the new style. She gave Kasey's blush one last swipe with the makeup brush and then stepped back. "I think you're opening night ready."

"Well, then help me into my shoes, because I will fall over if you don't," Kasey laughed. Carleigh held out a hand and Kasey (somewhat reluctantly) stepped into the high heels that Carleigh had helped her pick out.

"You are stunning, Kasey," Carleigh said when Kasey finally stared at the whole ensemble together. "Now, go outshine everyone at your party."

"Thank you, Carleigh. I'll see you when I get back," Kasey said.

"Call me when you're walking so I know you're not going to be murdered," Carleigh instructed.

"I will."

"I am so freaking proud, Kasey Winslow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Kasey arrived at the party, the first thing she noticed was the bluish lighting that lit the entire room. The air seemed to shimmer. She couldn't tell if it was sparkles, or lights, or just the atmosphere of the room. 

The hall was already filled with various Broadway stars, the Frozen crew, and the cast members. Kasey peered around to see if she could find any of her costars. 

"Kasey!" someone called. She turned.

It was Lin. 

"Lin, I didn't know you were coming!" Kasey exclaimed.

"How could I not? My favorite ensemblist, starring in her very own show? I wouldn't miss it for the world," Lin said. "You were fantastic. Even though I would have pegged you more of a Belle, Anna looks very good on you, too. Even that redheaded hair color."

"Thanks," Kasey laughed. 

"Congratulations," Lin grinned. "I smell a Tony coming your way."

"That's not why I do it," Kasey protested.

"Oh, I know. I didn't do Hamilton for it either, but everyone knew it was coming then, and I'm telling you now. You're the new Laura Osnes. You shone onstage. All of you. It's a very impressive production," Lin told her. 

She and Lin chatted for a few more minutes before Kasey was called away for photos. 

Kasey went down the press lineup first. It felt like she had a thousand cameras pointed at her, but somehow, her smile didn't feel forced. She was so unbelievably happy. 

Jess was right after Kasey.

After their individual pictures had been taken, Jess and Kasey paired up for more photos together. Then, the entire cast got one final group picture before they were set free to roam around and socialize.

"I think the show went really well," Jess commented as everyone began to disperse.

"I think so, too," Kasey agreed. "It was amazing."

"I still can't believe that we just opened our show," Jess admitted. "But I'm happy."

"Me, too."

Kasey set off into the crowd of people. She could finally relax- the show was over, the picture obligations were fulfilled, and Frozen on Broadway was officially a show.