Part of the family

I woke up to find that it was midnight. I was probably the only one awake, so I got up and walked into the kitchen. I went to get a drink of chocolete milk, and to my surprise, someone was sitting down on the table. I turned on the lights and found Darry.

"Why awake at this time?" I asked. He looked up at me.

"Can't sleep, what about you?" he wondered.

"Not tired" I responded.

"Same thing isn't it?" he asked.

"I guess" I replied. I sat down next to him.

"How's your wrist?" he asked. I looked at him, not sure how he knew about it.

"How do you know about my wrist?" I wondered.

"Sodapop told me" he stated. I shook my head.

"You upset about it?" he asked.

"No, not really" I replied.

"You know, he's just looking out for you" he said. I nodded.

"He's funny and annoying, but in a good way" I responded.

"Yea, it's impossible to stay mad at that kid" he repplied. I nodded.

"What happened with him and sandy?" I asked. I was curiouse about what was going on between them.

"Well Sodapop and Sandy were happy together, or atleast it looked that way. Anyway, they made a mistake, and Soda asked Sandy to marry him. Instead of saying yes, she chose to go live with her grandma in Florida. Soda sent her letters, but she would send them right back, unopened" he explained.

"Oh, so she doesn't love him like he did?" I wonderd. He shook his head. "That's just sad" I stated.

"Yea, but ever since you came, he hasn't thought about her at all" he said.

"How?" I asked.

"You're always making him laugh and smile, and now you're the only girl he cares about" he said.

"Yea, like Dally" I said under my breath.

"Huh?" he asked.

"Nothing" I replied.

"So, when do you plan on going back home?" he wondered.

"I don't know, do you want me to leave?" I asked.

"Honestly, no" he responded with a smile. We both laughed a bit. 

Then, he turned seriouse."Listen Cyndy, I was wondering if you like, we could go to the court tomorrow, and I could officialy become your legal guardian" he offered. A smile spread across my face.

"I would like that" I stated.

"Really?" he asked. I nodded.

"Great, we'll go tomorrow, after I come back from work, now head on to bed kiddo it's late" he said, standing up and heading to his room.

"But I'm not tired" I responded. He sighed and I smiled.

"Fine, stay up as long as you want" he said.

"Thanks Darry" I replied. I stood up, placed my cup in the sink, and went to the living room. I sat down on the ouch and turned on the tv. A movie was on, so I started watching it. I put my feet up on the couch and rested my head on the arm of the couch. I ended staying up all night watching some wierd scary movie, but it wasn't all that scary. Before 7 in the morning, I blacked out. 

I felt someone move my hair from my face, and I woke up. It was Darry.

"I'm already ganna leave for work" he informed me. I nodded. "Be ready, cause when I come back, we'll head to the court" he added.

"Okay" I replied, rubbing one eye. He patted my head, and left. Ponyboy suddenly walked in.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"The court" I replied.

"For what?" he wondered.

"Ask Darry" I responded.

"C'mon man, the girl is tired, let her sleep" somebody said. I think it was Dally cause he's the only one I know that has a tuff voice. I didn't even bother opening my eyes and making sure it was Dally, I was too tired anyways. I took a nap for some time, then woke up again.

I sat up and looked around the living room. Only Ponyboy was here.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Uh 4 in the afternoon" he replied.

"What? Darry will be here any minute, I gotta get ready" I said. I got up and ran into my room and got ready. I was wearing skinny jeans, a tank top, and convers. I fixed my hair, and put on a little bit of makeup. Then I walked into the living room to wait for Darry. Right  when I sat down on a couch, he opened the door and  came in.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

"Yupp" I replied.

"k, let's go, we'll be back in a little while" he said. I followed him to thhe ford and got in. The ride to the court house was silent. Once we got there, we waited unil some guy told us to go in to his office. I sat next to Dally, he talked to guy. Then he turned to me.

"What happened to your parents?" the guy asked me.

"They uh... passed .. away" I lied. He studied me closely, then began talking again with Darry. After a while, he wrote some stuff on a piece of paper, and handed it to Darry.

"You are now the legal guardian of Cyndy here" he said with a smile.

"Thank you sir" Darry responded, shaking his hand. We both stood up and walked out of the office. We rode all the way back home,and found the whole gang in the living room.

"Do I have news for all of ya'll" Darry exclaimed. The whole gang turned to face us."I'm now Cyndy's legal guardian" he said. The whole gang cheered.

"So she's our sister or what?" Pony asked with a smile.

"Call her whatever you like" Darry replied, heading into the kitchen.

"Woooaaaa, I have a sister" Sodapop cheered, then he ran up to me and hugged me tightly. I'm not really considered thier sister in any way, but I am part of the family now. So I guess they can referr me as a kid sister, whatever makes them happy. I hugged Sodapop back. We both pulled back, and he kissed me on my forehead.