qualify

by delia

flook!

the sound of the brush of my strawberry blush lip gloss making friction with the small glass container that consisted the substance echoed among the empty bathroom. i brought the small brush to my lips, my fingers toying with the plastic handle.

swish!

the girls bathroom door swung open, wide, making a loud sound. a ginger with blue eyes was crying. her eyelids were droopy and her cheeks were tainted red, probably from the sobs. a ginger i had known too well.

"sadie?"

she looked up slowly, wiping rapidly her cheeks and her eyes. "oh, hi, millie," she smiled, but there was a sad glint in her eye. "why are you crying?" i asked, smacking my lips as i eyed myself in the mirror. "is everything.. alright?"

sadie nodded quickly. "yes. just normal.. you know. the usual bowers."

the bowers were three brothers who all looked alike, sandy blonde hair, dark eyes and the same rotten attitudes that loved to ruin others day. they targetted everyone who they could, except of course the popular people.

except, me and maddie and a few more others.

"oh," i sucked in a breath. "they suck. just ignore them i guess."

she shrugged.

a silence covered us like a blanket, and sadie was the first to tear it away. "i gotta go," she said sniffling. "the boys are waiting."

by the mention of the boys, my heart skipped a beat. images of gatens repeated laugh, calebs dance moves, noahs sweet, friendly gestures, and finns beautiful humor. finn.

finn!

"the boys!" i exclaimed. "god, i missed you all."

a shadow crossed sadies face, and i didnt miss it. "is there a problem?"

"you're missing something you left?" she asked, her tone challenging. "youre missing something that you replaced?"

i stood in utter shock.

she rolled her eyes, siding her ginger locks behind her ear. "bye millie. good riddance, i suppose."

ever since middle school, the boys plus sadie and i were the closest of friends. particularly, i was closest with finn. but sophomore year came and maddie invited me to her group of friends, all the popular cute pretty girls. those same girls we would talk about before about how annoying they were.

ironic.

;

i carried my tray towards the cafeteria. maddie and the girls had swimming as their class before lunch which meant they were late. they were still gonna do their make up and so so.

my eyes raked around the whole cafeteria to find anyone to sit with. im not used to sitting alone anymore during lunch. it isnt fitting either. im millie, and i cant sit alone at lunch. a total image ruiner.

my gaze landed on the noisiest table, a dark skinned boy who i once knew too well was laughing loudly at a curly brunette who was dancing rowdily in front of him. sadie was next to him, her hand obviously attached with his, laughing with him. noah sat opposite to them, his big almond eyes dancing with amusement.

the table that i was once was sitting at before.

my heart palpitated inside of me as my eyes paused at the dark curls of someone.. someone i remember most. his hair was getting longer. there was merely a shadow of the back of his pale neck, almost completely covered by his hair. he was toying with his food, totally oblivious to what the others were laughing about.