flame - fillie

By Delia lololol

The full blast of the air conditioner was giving me goosebumps.

I hugged my blanket closer to my chest and let my jacket wrap around me as our guidance counsellor, Miss Natalia, fiddled with the laptop and awkwardly giving a smile.

"Okay so," she said while tucking loose strands of hair behind her ear. "I know this day has been very tiring for you, with all our activities a whild ago in the afternoon," she continued. "But i'm sure everyone will love our last activity for today."

The way she said it kind of lingered in the air. I exhaled, feeling a sense of ease. Sadie, who was sitting beside me, grabbed my hand. Her hand was warm, like a mug of coffee.

"Today we have discussed and indulged ourselves in activities all pertaining to affirmations," Miss Natalia began. "To be specific, self affirmation."

She pressed her manicured finger on one of the keys on her laptop, causing the slide of the slideshow to change.

"Non verbal affirmation with one another." She read out loud, shifting her eyes from the screen and towards us.

She mysteriously got a small wooden block and put it in the center of the big circle she made us form into. She took a box of matches from her jean pocket and 4 candles, unlit.

She carefully brought one match to a candle and doing so with the others. Miss Natalia then walked over to the light switch and flicked it off, leaving the 4 candles flickering in the dark.

People started to hush around, whispering.

"Before we begin this activity, may i request everyone to not speak." She instructed. "This activity is non verbal, therefore, no need for words. We find ourselves affirming one another with no use of words." She said calmly.

The room then quieted. My eyes traced to Finn Wolfhard, who sat at the opposite side of the circle. The way the candlelight and his features together was amazing, and it was difficult not to stare.

His hair was still damp from talking a bath. Based on the time on my wristwatch it was 8:59 pm. After this we would probably go to sleep.

"These candles represent affirmation and acceptance," she said while inhaling deeply. "Some messages and quotes will be given on the slideshow, and if you think that you relate to it, give it to the person you believe should get that message."

The class still looked perplexed. "Imagine if the quote said 'Im sorry', you can get a candle and give it to a person you think deserves that from you." She said with a small smile.

The class nodded, and she walked over to her laptop to play a slow and comforting tune.

Messages and quotes appeared on the screen, but I stayed seated for most. I received candles, but there was only one person I looked forward to be given by.

I stared at Finn, who had been walking back and forth in getting candles and giving it to Gaten, Noah and Caleb. I waited, my hands getting colder by the minute, for a message to appear in which Finn would give me.

"I really like you. I think you're amazing." The quote read.

My eyes turned to Finn, my lips drying. For a split second, Finn's eyes met mine, and my heart skipped a beat. My heart fluttered as he walked over to the table with the candles, getting one. His eyes met mine and he mouthed something to me, something i couldnt read.

I signalled i couldnt understand, so he mouthed clearer this time.

'Im gonna give this to Sadie,' he mouthed. 'Tell her to look at me.'

Sadie was sitting right beside me, looking innocently at the whitescreen, not noticing that Finn Wolfhard.

I mustered with all the strength i had in me to tap her shoulder. Something inside me snapped, making me want to curl into a ball and cry. Once again, i assumed, and clearly, there was oncr again nothing to hope for.

Finn walked carefully to Sadie, and kneeled in front of her, a smile drawing in his face, and their eyes met as my heart broke.

She took the candle, their fingers touching, and i could almost feel the tiniest flame between them. A flame i would never have with Finn.

Hey hahahah this sucked and hurt. You may have read the mileven version of this, its just that the 3 of us had an overnight activity and claire and i decided to make our own versions of it. :) hope it was ok hehe