what it was like. - fillie

By Claire

Millie

Here I am again, staying up late, waiting for him to accept my friend request. Here I am again, losing the already limited amount of sleep I get, just to see if his name pops up on my notifications, saying that we were officially friends on Facebook. Here I am again, waiting for something that will never happen.

-

I made an effort to wake up early this morning. I was usually late and it shocked people whenever I was the first to arrive.

When I put down my bag on my seat, there were only five people. The class president, my best friend and fellow writer,the class secretary, him, and me.

My best friend walked up to me immediately. "Hey, you're quite early today," Sophia said, smirking. It was just yesterday when I told her about my feelings for the school heartthrob, Finn Wolfhard.

"My dad had an early meeting and couldn't be late so I had to be early," I said. It was actually true, but I also saw this as an oppurtuniy. "Yeah right. Anyway, has he accepted?" She said. "No," was all I said, clearly disappointed.

"That's okay. He wasn't online yesterday," she said. I just sighed and let it be.

-

Finn sat beside me at lunch. I was really shocked and a small, glimmer of hope was revived within me. He even talked to me about this game he was really obsessed with.

So I thought he might as well accept my friend request that night. And I checked, but he still didn't.

-

The next day, I was a little down, but Finn and I became seatmates during Science so that comforted me a little. We worked on this experiment for some time and I would really hope more and more as we started to converse regularly

So for the past few nights, I was sure he would already accept it. But he still didn't...

-

Finally, after a month, I talked to him about it. "Why haven't you accepted my request yet???" I asked, trying to sound casual about it. Clearly, I failed, because he noticed something was up. But he just ignored it. "I haven't seen it yet," was all he said.

So I checked that night again, and he still didn't accept it.

--

A few weeks later, I found out he was dating someone named Sadie. And honestly, it broke my heart a little. But Sadie and I were really close in fifth grade, and I knew that she was a really kind person.

But everyone started shipping it, and I would honestly feel so confused and heartbroken that I just stayed silent whenever this happened.

-

A week later, I found out that another fellow writer, Kate, had a crush on Finn. I honestly didn't expect it because she seemed like she was an innocent person who wasn't into boys.

But I guess I was wrong. And I honestly feel like no one would ever love Finn the way I would. So that kind of made me feel a little distant toward Kate, but anyway ,we weren't that close so it didn't really matter.

-

I talked to Sophia about my problem. Everyday, I was hurt because of Finn and his girlfriend. She gave me the best piece of advice. "Honestly, Finn is a really nice person. But you're way better. You don't deserve someone who doesn't even make an effort to accept your request or someone who will just be harsh about your feelings. So keep your chin up and forget about him." It was great advice, and i took it to heart.

-

Third person

That night, Finn checked his notifications and saw her name again. Should he accept or not? He's been debating about this because he didn't really want to be connected to a perosn who he was crushing on before he met Sadie. He was happy now, without her.

But he had to make a choice. She mattered to him but he never showed it.

He finally decided to stop being a snob. He was about to confirm it, when it disappeared. Because Millie, on another side of a different screen, cancelled the request. And that, was her way of telling herself, it was time to move on.

Haii!! Just wanna say thank you to the person who inspired me to make this because it really makes a good story :) Really sleepy so sorry if this sucks ;-; -Claire