A Valentine Hunt (Jessie POV)

Another month passed, my cast was removed and suddenly it was Valentine’s Day. Usually I wasn’t into the hallmark holiday, but as part of my “new me” lifestyle, I chose to give it a try. It also helped that Carlos wasn’t as obsessed with it as everyone else around us seemed to be. He asked me to be his valentine and I happily agreed, end of story. Or at least I had thought so.

Valentine’s Day came and I was at home on my couch, watching TV to pass the time before my date with Carlos. I was starting to fall asleep when the bell rang a few times. I opened it, expecting to find someone at the door, but no one was there. I shook my head and started to close the door when I saw something blue taped to it. I pulled it off my door, looking around again and then closed the door. Looking down in my hand, I saw that it was a blue Chococat stationary envelope that had my name printed on the front in Carlos’ handwriting. Turning the envelope over and opening it, I found a note inside with his handwriting again.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Up at your window sits a surprise for you.

I laughed and rolled my eyes at his cheesy message, but went up to my room anyway. I had expected to find Carlos at the window, bright smile on his face as he handed me a chocolate box. But when I approached my window I saw it was empty except for a single paper; picking it up, I couldn’t help but smile. The top of the paper said “My Family” and there were four stick figure drawings, all smiling. There was a woman with the label “Mommy” over her head and next to her was a little girl wearing a very puffy pink dress and holding what looked like a wand in her hand, the label over her reading “Cassie (Me)”. Next to her was a taller boy figure with a golden crown on his head, the label above him reading “Carlos.” And in his stick figure’s hand was the hand of the final figure wearing a blue dress as well as a smaller crown on her head, the label above reading “Jessie.” In the corner of the page was an arrow pointing to the back and when I turned it over I saw Cassie’s handwriting, along with another taped note. I removed the taped note and held on to it while I read Cassie’s words.

This is a picture of my family. My mommy, me, my brother Carlos and Jessie. Jessie has a different mommy and daddy but she’s still my big sister. Her and Carlos are really good friends and we all love her a lot. Carlos and Jessie have crowns because they are like my fairytales. I have a wand because I helped make them happy together.

I put the picture down and looked at the note I was holding on to, finding Carlos’ handwriting again.

Just thought you might want to see what Cassie drew in school. Told you she was never going to grow tired of you. Now for your next clue: The place where we first met.

I looked at the note in confusion. The place where we first met was the supermarket. Why would he want me to go there? Shrugging, I grabbed my phone and keys and made my way to my next destination.

*          *          *          *          *         

When I got to the supermarket, I hesitated outside the doors. I didn’t know where the next clue was and I couldn’t exactly walk up to a cashier and say “Hey, you wouldn’t happen to know where there may be any secret messages, do you?” And I highly doubted Carlos was going to make my life easy by waiting inside for me. After a few minutes, I breathed in and walked through the doors. Almost as soon as I walked through, I almost ran into Emmett who was walking out.

“Oh, hey Jessie,” he smiled.

“Hi, Emmett,” I said.

“What are you doing here?” he asked. “Shouldn’t you be getting ready for your date with Carlos?”

“I should,” I answered. “But someone decided to send me on a scavenger hunt before hand.”

“A scavenger hunt, huh?” Emmett replied. “Guess that’s why that weirdo with the hoodie gave me this envelope with your name on it.”

“What?” I asked. “Let me see.”

“Sure,” he smiled again, passing me the envelope. Again I recognized Carlos’ handwriting on the front.

“Did that weirdo with the hoodie happen to look like Carlos?” I asked.

“Now that you mention it, I believe he did,” he answered, smile growing wider.

“You’re in on this,” I said, eyes narrowed.

“Maybe a little,” he said nonchalantly.

“How many more of these are there?” I asked, holding up the envelope.

“I honestly couldn’t tell you,” Emmett laughed. “But I’m guessing you will find out very soon.”

“Well thanks for your non- help then,” I smiled sarcastically.

“Hey, I helped!” Emmett replied. “If it weren’t for me intervening, Carlos would’ve had you look through every aisle here until you found it.”

“He does realize I probably would’ve only gone through two aisles before giving up and going home right?” I laughed.

“Hence my helping,” Emmett said. “Now open the envelope already. I want to know what’s inside.”

“Are you sure about that?” I asked, one eyebrow raised playfully.

“Well now that you say it like that, no I’m not sure anymore,” he said awkwardly. “How about you open it and then if it’s appropriate, you can show me.”

“Right,” I laughed. I turned the envelope around and opened it, expecting to find another note but finding a picture instead. I narrowed my eyes in confusion, unsure of what it meant.

“Well, what is it?” Emmett asked impatiently.

“A picture,” I answered.

“A picture of what?” he asked suspiciously.

“A swing set.” I handed him the picture and looked back in the envelope, thinking I missed something. It was still empty of further instructions.

“That’s it?” Emmett asked. “Just this picture?”

“Yup.”

“Hm, that’s weird,” he said. “Wait, this looks familiar.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, moving over to look at the picture again.

“Isn’t this the swing set at the park?” he asked.

Looking at the picture, I did begin to recognize the background. “Yeah, I think it is,” I answered.

“Well, then that’s your next stop,” Emmett replied. “Want a ride?”

“Sure, thanks.”

*          *          *          *          *         

Emmett dropped me off five minutes later and I was surprised at how empty it was. There were very few kids in the playground and even less teens playing on any of the sports fields. I looked over at the swings, seeing only one preoccupied by a little girl, and hoped that my next clue would still be there. Walking up to the gate, I could see another envelope sitting on the second swing. Opening it, I thought there would be another mini- note with a clue for me to follow, but instead I found a letter.