Chapter One

"Draco, wonderful to see you."

Pansy Parkinson presented her hand and Draco shook it very seriously.

Then they burst out laughing.

"Shh, shh, get inside," Pansy urged. They couldn't be seen giggling like fools in the train corridor. It would just be embarrassing.

Once the compartment door was securely closed, Pansy pounced on Draco and gave him one of her signature bone-crushing hugs.

"Pans, dear, I'd like to be able to breathe."

Pansy pulled back and stuck her tongue out at him. "I missed you, though," she whined.

"I missed you too, dear, believe me." Draco flopped down onto a bench but quickly pulled up into a more dignified position. Pansy draped herself over him. No one would question this pose. After all, it was more than likely they'd be paired up when they were older. The fact that they were friendly already just encouraged that outcome.

"Drake, dear, tell me all about your trip to France."

Draco raised an eyebrow. "Pans, you were there."

"Only for a month! You were there for two. Tell me about the month after I left."

Draco chuckled. "Afraid I found a french girl?"

Pansy rolled her eyes. "Oh please. No one, french or not, would want you. You should be grateful you have me. An arranged marriage is always better with a friend."

Draco had to admit she was right. His parents had been friends in Hogwarts, and they seemed much happier together than her parents, who had not.

"So go on, talk to me! Before your body guards show up." Pansy made a face. She wasn't a big fan of Crabbe and Goyle, but since they were beefy and Draco was practically a girl, his parents had pulled some strings and gotten the two of them to watch over him. Draco was an only child, after all. Wouldn't want him damaged in some way. And if Pansy stuck with him, she'd be protected too.

"Well, it really wasn't much different without you - maybe a little boring," he added, seeing her frown. "Oh! We did find this gorgeous little pond with a waterfall. It led into a creek that Mother and I had fun with. We were using the stepping stones to run around. She fell in once, and that was the end of that, but it was fun while it lasted."

Pansy sighed dreamily. "You simply must bring me there next year, Drake."

"Yes dear." Draco rolled his eyes. She was such a drama queen.

There was a knock at the compartment door. It opened and Blaise Zabini walked in.

"Malfoy, Parkinson," he greeted. Pansy and Draco nodded back.

"How was your summer, Blaise?" Pansy asked. "Where did you go again?"

"Italy," Blaise answered. "Mother's new boyfriend insisted."

"She really does like Italians, doesn't she?" Draco commented.

Blaise rolled his eyes. "Something about the accents, I imagine."

Pansy shrugged. "I like them French, myself," she remarked, nudging Draco.

"Vos yeux brillent comme une rivière, ma cherie," Draco said.

Pansy sighed. "Thank you, dear. They do, don't they?"

Draco chuckled softly. Blaise just rolled his eyes at their antics.

"You two are so married."

"Not yet," Pansy reminded him.

"It's going to happen," Blaise said. "No way it won't."