Chapter Four

"YOU DEFECTED? AFTER ALL THAT WE'VE DONE FOR YOU YOU DO THIS?! DON'T COME HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS, OR EVER. FIND YOUR OWN WAY, DRACO. I NEVER SHOULD HAVE MARRIED YOUR MOTHER. THERE WERE SO MANY DEFECTS THERE I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT THE BLOOD HAD GONE SOUR. YOU'LL FIND YOU ARE CUT OFF FROM THE FAMILY VAULT. YOU WILL BE DISOWNED. DO NOT RETURN TO GET YOUR THINGS. THEY HAVE BEEN DESTROYED. GOODBYE, BLOOD TRAITOR. YOU ARE NO LONGER A MALFOY."

By the end of it, Draco was shaking so hard he couldn't open the second letter. He had known this was coming, but it was so much worse than he imagined. Everyone was staring at him.

Hermione saw what he was trying to do and took the letter from him. After glaring around the Hall to get people to look away, she leaned over and read it to him.

"Draco, I'm sure you already received the news from Lucius, but you have been disowned. It is true that your defect probably came from me. I apologize. If I had known this would happen I would not have had you. He took everything from your personal vault. You have nothing but what you brought to school. However, I do know how much your necklace meant to you, so I enclosed it. Goodbye. Narcissa."

Draco watched as Hermione held up his precious necklace. He stared at the raven with emerald eyes but didn't reach for it. He had gotten it because he had always heard about Harry Potter's raven black hair and green eyes. He always held onto it because Harry had been someone he idolized as a child. But now, he had the real Harry.

"Draco, this is gorgeous!" Harry exclaimed.

Draco smiled. "Do you want it?"

Harry stopped smiling and stared at Draco.

"What?"

Draco kept smiling. "I asked if you wanted it. I don't need it anymore."

Harry looked back to the necklace. Draco could tell he really wanted it. Draco carefully took it from Hermione and walked over to the other side of the table. He clasped it around Harry's neck and held the raven one more time. Harry felt the chain around his neck in awe. Draco dropped the raven into Harry's hand. He watched Harry gently stroke it.

"But I thought the letter said it meant a lot to you..."

Draco smiled. "It did. But it would mean a lot more if you'd wear it, Harry."

Harry nodded and Draco returned to his seat. He looked over and saw Hermione smiling at him.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Ron had been chowing down this entire time. Draco didn't even think he had noticed that Harry had a necklace on now. Were all Weasleys this dense, or just him?

"Ronald," Percy prompted. Ron snapped out of whatever food trance he had been in and turned to Percy.

"What?"

Percy groaned. "Here. Read this."

Percy handed Ron a letter. Ron skimmed it over. He made an 'oh' face, and then turned to Draco.

"The offer still stands, you know, to come live with us? Mum already said okay." He waved the letter. Draco snatched it and read it. He couldn't believe his eyes.

'Dear Ron, of course your friend can live with us. It has been too quiet around here since Bill and Charlie left. You said the boy was a Malfoy, right? Well, I know how your father feels about them but if your friend got into Gryffindor and got disowned I'm sure he'd make an exception. Have a wonderful first day of classes, dear, and make sure you let your friend know that's he's welcome to live with us. Love you. - Mum'