CHAPTER: 9 | THE OTHMANS (PART-3)

It was around nine when the ladies were summoned to the dining hall for the feast. Sarah and Laiba led the guests to the table and pulled out the chairs for them which they accepted with 'thanks'. The decor and the furnishing of the hall were grandeur and marvellously opulent with all the lights dimmed around them except for the chandelier that was casting its light straight down on the table which was flooding with food. The table linen draped over the teak-wood-made banquet table was a glossy, purple satin and the crockeries placed on it were all pure white ceramic pieces containing, roasted lambs, roasted chicken, all varieties of fishes, prawns and carbs, bread, rice, soups, salads, fruits, bowls and bowls of gravies with chunks of meat floating at the top and lots and lots of desserts.

Maha's eyes were wide and jaws agape at the sight of the cakes on the table. "HOLLY MOLLY !!!" She exclaimed, "Am I hallucinating or is it an apple cheesecake over there?" She grabbed Habeeba's arm and leaned enough to squeak in her ear.

"MAHA." Habeeba chided her sister and pushed her away gently. "Behave." She hissed between her teeth, glaring hard. She then sat straight and smiled when Laiba came to serve her the soup.

Maha stuck out her tongue at Habeeba and pulled out her phone from her jeans pocket. She opened the camera app and looked to her left and then right, making sure no one was watching before sneakily snapping a picture of the cakes at the corner. She quickly pulled her mobile down, under the table and smiled at the picture she just clicked. "Perfect." She muttered, satisfied.

She forwarded it to Burhan and typed:

M: Eat. 😈

She laughed devilishly in her head knowing well that Burhan would be burning with jealousy after seeing the picture. Not after a second, her phone beeped.

B: HOLY SHIT!! *eyes popping out of the sockets*

B: It's looks f**king delicious.. *mouth watering*

M: It's way more delicious than it looks. Umm, *moaning* sorry, I'm eating. I can't text you. Bye.

B: Hey! Hey! Be a good girl and save me some.

M: In your dreams.

B: Three steps:
1. Grab a large piece of cake.
2. Use clean tissue paper to wrap the cake.
3. Stuff it in your pocket and come to me.

She placed a hand on her mouth and suppressed her laughter. She was about to type a reply when-

"Soup?"

Maha dropped her phone on her lap, startled. She looked up and saw Laiba standing with a bowl in her hands, smiling at her with an eyebrow raised. "Oh! Nohh!" She exhaled, pulling herself together. "No thanks, no soup." She said, smiling a toothy smile.

"Okay," Laiba nodded. "What would you like to have then?"

"Umm.." Maha ran her tongue over her lips and slowly turned her head towards the cakes at the corner.

Laiba followed her gaze and smiled, "Do you like cakes, Maha?"

Maha chuckled like a child caught doing something naughty, "Very much.." She confessed, turning pink while Laiba took her plate and wheeled around the table. She placed a piece of every cake on her plate and brought it back to her. "Here, you can have all of it.." She said, placing her hand on her hair. She reminded Laiba of Alice from the movie Twilight with that beautiful plump-round face, short form and pixie-cut hair. She found her innocent and cute, that type of girl who was completely oblivious to the dark side of the world.