CHAPTER: 71 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-17)

"Is he dead?" Essa poked Zeeshan's cheek.

Habeeba moved his hands away, "He's just unconscious."

"When's he gonna wake up?" Maha asked.

"Not until we wake him up," Burhaan answered.

"Someone wake him up!" Urooba cried.

"And how do we do that?" Maha queried.

"Slap him?" Areesha suggested.

"Do it." Sarah got excited.

"No." Habeeba and Urooba exclaimed in unison, protecting Zeeshan with their arms outstretched over his unconscious form on the cemented ground in the basement.

"Why not?" Sarah pouted.

"No slapping." They glared at her.

Laiba pulled her back and stepped up instead, "Sorry." Laiba apologized on her best friend's behalf, "Ignore her." She dragged her away from there.

"How about water?" Rehaan said.

"Yes! Good idea."

"Get some water," Habeeba called out.

"Water!" Urooba chimed in.

Shah grabbed a water bottle from his car and threw it towards Burhaan. He caught it effortlessly, twisted the cap open and held it over Zeeshan's face.

"Here we go..." He braced himself while everyone else waited.

Burhaan tipped the plastic bottle and poured cold water directly across his face.

Zeeshan woke up with a loud gasp, flailing his hands and sitting upright with his eyes wide open. For a split second, he seemed confused by the abrupt intrusion of the trance he was put in. He blinked and wiped the wetness off his face, his eyes darting to the faces surrounding him, mind slowly registering their identities.

"Zeeshan," Urooba dropped next to him,  "Are you okay?" She patted his cheeks and inquired, concern and worry written all over her face.

He looked at her, "Urooba?" He recognised her.

She nodded her head vigorously, "Yes! Yes! It's me. Do you remember your name?" She questioned, afraid that he might have lost his memory.

But before he could answer her, his cousins bombarded him with more questions.

"Wait! How much is this?" Burhaan held up three fingers in front of his face.

"What's the date today?"

"What's your age?"

"Which year is it?"

"Do you recognise us?"

Zeeshan held his head feeling like he had been hit by a bus.

"Oh my god! He lost his memory!" Urooba began crying.

"Oh no!" Maha covered her mouth.

"Is Shah going to jail now?" Essa asked.

"I didn't know someone could go to jail for attempted abduction?" Sarah whispered to Laiba who shushed her for the nth time.

"I can't believe he lost his memory." Burhaan tsked.

"Poor guy. So young. He had a bright future ahead of him. A tragedy. Indeed." Maha pitied, a hand on her chest.

"Mom's gonna faint." Urooba fretted in between her sobs.

"Uncle Yusuf lost the heir to his throne," Rehaan added, dramatically.