lypophrenia

Jade didn't know how long it had been since she ran from the cottage but she knew it had been a while. Numbness wrecked her limbs and the cold enveloped her small body. She hugged herself, seemingly useless against the unbearable cold.

The frost within her heart held no comparison to the ice within her soul.

An echo of a howl travelled in the distance. Slowly she peaked out from behind her hands. 

A wolf.

Her gaze widened as a small gasp escaped her mouth — its pure black pelt shun beneath the moonlight and electric red eyes fought furiously with the darkness of night. She lifted herself into a sitting position while it started to slowly move towards her as if not to scare her away.

An absurd sight, to say the least.

She should've been petrified by its gleaming gaze and its over-powering form but at this point she'd welcome death with open arms if it were to knock on her door.

The wolf whimpered slightly — she couldn't understand why it sounded so sorrowful but all she knew was that she felt an undeniable feeling to comfort him. 

One moment passed before she reached out a shaking hand. 

What did she have left to lose?

Jade reached her hesitant palm and laid it against the soft pelt — she cupped the wolves face in her small weak hand. Slowly stepping forward so that her face would lay against its neck, the wolf hummed in content "...soft,'' she whispered delicately.

The wolf eased into her embrace and rubbed its nose against her cheek. Its pelt felt incredibly fluffy despite it looking ragged and hard.

She pulled away slightly without letting her arms fall "You're adorable."

It growled playfully while bearing sharp canines before nudging her face with its nose causing her to let out a weak smile "okay, okay." she whispered. Jade yawned tiredly, snuggling against its fur.

Opposed to her better judgment she let her eyes flutter shut. Her life was already spiralling so if she was going to get eaten by a giant adorable wolf with fur that felt as soft as cotton, she didn't mind as much as she should have.

* * *

Warmth.

Warmth was the first thing she recognised as she found herself coming back from her unconscious state. Jade's eyes were still sealed shut but her ears could pick up her surroundings. A blanket that seemed to be tucked securely around her body made her feel at ease as well as the soft plump mattress supporting her fatigued form.

"Why is she not awake yet?" Jade heard a familiar deep voice croak from right next to her.

She heard another body shift from the other side of the room and come closer "Exhaustion. That's my best guess"

"Tell me why she was running through the forest covered with blood in the first place!" Slate hissed, it was only at that moment did she realise he was holding her hand.

Jade could barely keep awake at this point "When we left from Moon Howler territory she was tired and drained of all her energy. I brought her here because Caroline and Klaus are-"

"The people that told her to never come back to the Divisions." Slate hissed "Yes, I know who they are! But what I don't get is why you brought her to them."

Slate was defending her. She didn't know how to feel. "They're her family, that will never change! Last time I checked she was getting away from everything, or in other words she was getting away from you!"