nunchi

*

*

*

Jade's POV --

It was another one of Slate's barbecues and all I've been doing so far is talk and laugh with just him, at first I thought it would annoy other Pack members since I was practically glued to their Alpha but for some reason everyone didn't seem to mind.

They must be the most polite Pack I've ever met. 

I laughed once again at one of his stories"It's a true! I swear," he placed a hand over his chest in a gesture of good-will.

I couldn't help but scoff. 

"Like swearing would keep you from lying!" he offered a deep chuckle at my sudden rebuke. I fiddled with the end of my verdant sundress before looking back up at him "I doubt you beat 10 grown bears with nothing but your bare hands."

He had to have shifted into his wolf. Fighting bears in human form would just be ludicrous. 

Slate feigned an offended expression "You don't think I'm strong enough?"

"Come on. It's physically impossible." I replied tauntingly, unaware of the whole Pack eavesdropping in our conversation.

He narrowed his captivating gaze "Take that back."

"Why should I?" I smiled teasingly

His expression started to morph into a slightly darker one, his eyes slowly cementing the teasing grin I wore "I'm Alpha,"

"Really? I haven't seen your wolf yet but I'd assume he'd be the most adorable thing ever" I gushed — knowingly shooting down his ego.

I couldn't help it. I really needed to know when to stop teasing, he might just attack me one day. That thought alone had me kicking myself. He would never hurt me. My brother would be on him faster than a heart beat. 

Slate laughed breaking away from the dark expression he wore moments ago "He's not adorable. He's fear-evoking!"

"You are just the cutest thing ever," I laughed as I pinched his cheek with one hand.

Slate seemed to close his eyes for a second at the contact. He opened them immediately and playfully glared "I'm not cute. I'm an Alpha - Theres a difference."

"Okay, okay. I understand Mr. Fearsome Alpha Parker" I chuckled and turned around to face the lively Pack that filled the whole yard. Someone in the distance caught my eye, unlike everyone he sat down dejected from everyone else.

That's weird. 

Slate noticed my staring and nudged me lightly "Who are you looking at?"

"I don't know who he is." I replied nonchalantly "Can you tell me?"

He hesitated for a moment before relenting "That's our Pack's Omega."

"...Right," I sighed — I wanted to know a little more than where he ranked and Slate knew it.

His hand slowly found mine and held it – Electric shots bolted through my veins at the sudden contact "His spineless, weak and let's just say if you were in a fight he's not the first person you would call for help."

"...Slate."

He squeezed my hand a fraction tighter "I'm just telling the truth...enough of these sad topics, let's go bother your brother"

*

*

*

Darkness.

An empty void was the first thing that registered through Jade's mind as soon as her dream ended. Her body felt fatigued and drained but peaceful. It was peculiar to say the least. 

Jade couldn't understand why she dreamt of Slate again. It would seem he would be the last person she would ever want to think of. 

Then again she didn't remember going to sleep — it was at that very moment her world came crashing down along with her undisturbed mood.

Without a second to waste her eyes snapped open — silently she observed where she was currently lying.

Glancing around, Jade realised that she was in the back seat of Cora's car. Even though her head was utterly wrecked with pain, she groggily looked around in her efforts to register what was going on. Jade moved her head down, only to see that her green dress was now stained with blood.

Her heart sped and her breathing hitched.

"Cora!" she whispered frantically "...Cora!" She shifted around restlessly even though her body felt as if there was nothing she could move without it hurting. 

The person driving turned their head immediately to face her.

Jade's vision blurred slightly once more.

"Go back to sleep, Jade. We have a long trip ahead of us if we want to make it to Genaville within the next couple of days," a familiar voice spoke.

Jade fought hard to keep her eyes open while tiredness battled with her relentlessly "...Where is she...I need to see her..."

"...Don't worry about Cora, right now. I sent her to a nearby Hospital. She's still alive." He replied with an authoritative tone.

She was a tiny bit relieved — Cora was going to be alright. "why were you here?"

"I was already on my way...Cora told me where she was going with you and that traitor" he stated while clenching his jaw at the mention of Dylan.

He was already on his way? 

Jade smiled gently — trying to brighten the mood in spite of her current condition "what happened?"

"Sleep. Now" he left no room for excuses "I'll tell you, when you're not about to pass out."

Jade finally let her tiresome eyes shut while whispering a very low "...Sebastian"