Erlebnis

"Revolting" Cora proclaimed with a sour expression "Everyone knows if you're from the Divisions, you can pretty much get any job you want."

Jade sheepishly chuckled "School isn't that bad..."

For two hours straight, they spoke about many things including the fact that Cora's father died a year after Jade and Tanner left.

She was only 15 

"I have been outside the wall, I've seen everything - one of those things being school and trust me I do not want to go back."

Jade rose an eyebrow "How come I've never seen you?"

"Because, my very, very naïve friend - You and Tann go to the places where it's highly populated and there's at least one high school in a 20 mile radius. Nowhere near where I need to be. In the shadows, in the middle of nowhere, you name it."

Jade smiled mischievously "the next time I need to hide, I'll come straight to you." The familiar ring of the doorbell interrupted their conversation.

"I'll get that!" Mary called from the other room, both of them could easily hear her heavy footsteps. Moments later, Tanner entered alongside the aged women, Jade got up from where she sat to stand next to him.

"I guess this is goodbye for now" Jade mumbled regretfully 

Cora nodded "Visit soon" she handed Jades bag to her and brought her into a hug before stepping back "Come back and say hi to Bash. I know for sure that he would want to see you again,"

"Of course!"

Mary turned to the both of them "You're welcome back here any time"

"Thank you" Jade hugged her warmly. 

"Take care of yourself" she muttered against Jade's shoulder before pulling away "You take care of yourself too," Mary said to Tanner.

He nodded his head stiffly — Tann had trouble with trusting people — having to travel to countless towns with Jade and having more questions than answers made him build walls high enough to not only cover himself but her too.

But at that moment, he couldn't help but feel that the walls he had spent so many years building wouldn't be enough to protect her anymore...

* * *

Our mate is close, she's almost here! Soren howled in rapture

Slate stood outside their house rigidly as impatience pulsed through his veins.

"Look!" Bentley exclaimed happily

His head snapped to the car as it parked in the driveway — within seconds Jade emerged from it and started to walk up the porch steps. Slate couldn't help the way he practically ran to her side only to embrace her tightly.

"How was your trip?" he asked, still holding her by the hips. In all honesty he didn't care one bit about her trip, but instead how she felt securely locked beneath his arms.

"It was fine"

Before he could say anything Tanner decided to interrupt "Hello Alpha Parker. I suggest you take your hands off my sister. I mean it would be basically cheating on your mate, who is probably waiting for you somewhere..."

Jade's eyes widened at the mention of his mate and stepped away from Slate making him suppress the urge to growl.

"I think I'm gonna go inside with Bentley..." she said quickly before walking past him