Chapter 72: Knight's Night in Basusda

Start from the beginning

Father was telling us that he would have to go back on another campaign again after the twin's birthday, because the extended time he got for me being in a coma and missing was losing out now. I'd never experienced Father being gone from my life, aside from my own little travels, so it was kind of odd for me.

The twins still didn't really understand the concept of war, so they didn't worry too much. They just said they would have learned a bunch of things before he came back, like this that this and oh this-!

It went on until Mother interjected that she was going on a training spree back home, to meet them for the first time in almost ten years. Check on my uncle and aunt, her brother and sister, see if her mother was doing fine, and possibly kill her father for all the things he did to me.

She said this with a smile on her face. It was so scary that I had to move out of her lap and crawl along the floor to the other couch, since Chord had secured Anthem and Hera and Adri were sharing Father.

Why did you abandon me, comrades?!

But anyway...Hera, Adri, and Chord would be doing whatever they wished at our grandparents house, perhaps training or going to some tea ceremonies for little children. They weren't having their social debut until they were five, but they might as well train early. We needed to get them some manners and knowledge on etiquette soon, or else they would be mini forms of Mother for the rest of their rambunctious lives.

Anthem would stay here and train to get better with his weapons, and he wouldn't go on the campaign since he was still not good enough. You can't send someone half trained onto a battlefield with Demons, it just didn't happen. It was a suicide mission.

Mother would leave in half a month, then come back in another five months. It took a regular person two months to get to somewhere like Larjulias, since the span of the ocean to cross was astronomical, and they had to have a special type of boat that no humans were allowed on. That meant she had to go all the way from where we are now, the tip of Bytriste, through the passage connecting to a desert continent, then to Zueltina. Travel across Zueltina to somewhere around Severo, then take a ship to some islands there next to the broken passage, and finally meet some non-humans who would take her there somehow.

She didn't tell me the last method.

But I just looked at her as I crawled back into her lap, and said, "I could take you there in three seconds, flat. Why all the trouble?"

"I have friends of my own from my travels, don't I? Why can't I visit them?" She cuddled me and laid back.

"True..."

It still seemed like a waste of money to a cheapskate like me, and it meant she wouldn't be back until almost Juin. She would've missed the twin's birthday.

When they realized that, she told them: "I'll bring you guys back some great things, so it'll be worth it. Besides, you have lots of friends to come to your party! I won't be missed."

"It's not the same without Mama..."

"This, I will not budge on," I looked up at Mother. "You know what I'm thinking, right?"

"You want to teleport me back for a night, correct?"

"I'll bring you back in the morning."

She sighed, "Fine."

I grinned at having my way.

That grin was wiped away the next moment when a sharp pang hit me in the back. My face distorted and my body arched away from Mother, and I gasped.