Chapter Nineteen

Cibrian stared moodily out of the window and he wasn’t the only one. Levi stared ahead at nothing, mouth set in a thin line. 

Kelly took her seat beside Heath. “Shopping, anyone?” 

Heath and Levi jerked as if they’d been shot. Heath glared at her. 

“It’s going to be a lot more difficult to walk around tomorrow after the Declaration Ceremony,” Kelly said reasonably.

“What’s the Declaration Ceremony?” Levi asked

“Every teen that’s been Awakened is Declared to our world. The Gem will put you into the best school that will mold you for your destiny. That’s why there’s so much traffic,” Heath said pointedly to Kelly.

She ignored him. “Does anyone want to be dropped off at the hotel?”

The carriage lifted into the air and Jordan watched as they left Mary Ann’s rooftop behind. Everyone seemed lost in thought. The only ones not affected by the visit with Mary Ann were Kelly and Knight. Cibrian sat beside Jordan, unusually somber.

“You okay?” Jordan asked. 

“Yeah.” 

He didn’t meet her eyes. Ten minutes later, the carriage settled on the roof of The Aquarium. The same two uniformed men ran towards the carriage and opened the door. They all hopped out of the carriage and Jordan paused when she saw Mr. Parker and Gideon walk onto the rooftop. The younger uniformed worker bowed so low, his nose touched his knee. 

“Guide Parker and Sorcerer Parker,” he said reverently. 

“Be at ease,” Gideon said.

The man backed off to give the group privacy.

“How was Mary Ann?” Gideon asked stiffly. 

“She’s great,” Kelly said. 

Gideon didn’t look happy about that. 

“Where’s Polly?”

“I sent him back to Paradice to cool off,” Gideon said. 

“What are you two doing up here?” Kelly asked suspiciously. 

“I assumed you would bully Heath into taking you shopping,” Mr. Parker said and frowned when Kelly tried to look mystified. “I know you too well. You’re not going without me.”

“You’re going to shuffle me past all the good stuff! And how do you think we’ll be able to move through the crowd with you there, Almighty Alexander?”

“I have my Dunghao mask,” Mr. Parker said. 

“You always have something up your sleeve! And are you coming too, Guide?” 

Gideon held up his hands with a chuckle. “No, I’m here to take the Valor back to the room and then I have stuff to do.”

Jordan and the Valor stood apart from the group. The cat mirrored her unconscious, defensive stance. Gideon looked at his granddaughter’s face. He would have passed her and never known she was part of his bloodline. After the talk he had with Donovan, he knew the girl had every right not to trust them. That didn’t help his overprotective instincts that wanted to gut anyone who even looked at her wrong.

“Come, Valor,” Gideon said and the cat bared his teeth and hissed. 

“Go with him, Knight,” Jordan murmured.

Knight huffed and nudged her with his body, making her stumble forward two steps. He looked at her with a threatening, admonishing look on his face before he walked away. Gideon and the Valor disappeared inside The Aquarium and Mr. Parker jerked his head at the guards who immediately followed.