Chapter Fifteen

Levi grabbed Jordan’s hand and hauled her towards the staircase with Knight following close behind. They walked down the stairs between the winter and meadow scenes. Jordan was careful not to touch Knight who paced beside her. Jordan choked on the awful smell coming from above. Luckily, the rose petals disappeared over their heads and didn’t cover the meadow or snow with ash. 

Neither spoke as they walked onto the porch and started uphill, out of the crater that surrounded Tolly House. Jordan took deep breaths of warm air that smelled of grass and flowers and tried to calm herself. Her heart pounded. She could feel the after effects of power, which made her fingertips tingle. She stomped through the high grass and didn’t look at Levi. She knew he was furious with her for losing control. They crossed the bridge onto Parker property. Levi grabbed her arm and swung her around to face him. 

“What the hell was that? You could have killed somebody!” he snapped.

Jordan yanked her arm away. Knight brushed against her and lightning speared through the circle pendant. Flames slithered through Jordan’s hair like angry snakes. 

“You did it deliberately?” Levi’s voice was cold. 

Jordan paced. “She talked about my mom.”

“She obviously wanted a rise out of you and you delivered. You can’t punish people just because you want to. Ignore it.” 

“I’m not like you. I’m not a robot that can turn off everything I feel.” She took a deep breath that did nothing to calm her. “Everything is bubbling up inside me. I’m so angry and scared and this place,” she flung her hands wide. “Knight, William, Mr. Parker, you. I keep waiting to have some kind of normal in my life, something solid, but it keeps slipping through my fingers.”

He stood several feet away from her with his arms crossed, making sure she kept her distance from him. It caused a single tear to course down her cheek. 

“He changed me.” It was a realization that grew steadily in her mind.

“It’s worse,” Levi agreed. “I don’t know if you would’ve stopped.”

“I know you should leave. I have nothing to offer, but I want you to stay. I trust you. I can’t do this without you.”

He looked over endless land. “I don’t think I can.”

“Why?” It was a cry from her soul. 

“I don’t belong here.”

“I don’t either!” she shouted. “You think I feel at home in the room they gave me, eating as much as I want, being fawned over by Kelly? You think I just fell into this house and realized this is my happily ever after? No!” She clutched his shirt in both hands. “You reached out to me in Haven. You needed me as much as I needed you. We’ve been honest with each other.” Tears dripped down her face. “And I’m telling you now, I need you. Please. Stay with me.”

Levi looked beyond her to the house made of glass in the distance. With his power, he sensed Mr. Parker standing on the porch, knew he could probably hear every word of their conversation. He stepped away from Jordan’s grasp.

“I can’t do this,” he said and walked away. 

Jordan didn’t have the strength to chase after him. She sank to her knees and buried her face in her hands and sobbed as if her heart was breaking. Knight stood over her protectively. She looked small between his front paws. He whined and Levi didn’t look back though the sound of Jordan’s sobs followed him across the pasture. Levi approached Mr. Parker who wore a pair of aviator sunglasses that shielded his eyes, but Levi was sure he was glaring at him.