Chapter Seventeen

The carriage broke through the final set of trees. A huge field of white led up to intimidating ice walls that towered towards the sky. The sun began to rise, making the snow and walls shimmer with dazzling light. In the middle of the huge wall were two gates thrown wide open. Jordan let out a startled cry as other carriages erupted from the forest in bursts of powdery snow. Carriages of all sizes, decorated with designs and pinstripes like race cars sped towards the gates as if approaching a finish line. 

“That’s Wintra?” Jordan asked faintly. 

“Yup.”

The first carriage with Mr. Parker and the other adults was nowhere to be found in the crush. Their carriage seemed to fit through the smallest gaps and beat the other carriages through the gates. The carriage slowed and slid onto a wide path made of textured ice. The carriages jammed as they tried to beat each other into the city. Like a highway, carriages going the opposite way were on the other side of the street and turned onto frosted paths that led between the buildings. 

The city of Wintra was made of ice and snow. Majestic buildings towered overhead, white and beautiful in the sunlight. Like wallpaper, the walls of these buildings were carved with intricate designs to distinguish one from the other in the monotone of white. Instead of signs, the walls of each building advertised services or merchandise. Cibrian explained that a building made of frosted ice covered in hieroglyphs was a well-known museum. Jordan squinted at a building covered in hearts. The display window looked as if Valentine’s Day  exploded within it. Love potions. A building of a man’s cracked, scowling face was made of packed snow. 

“That’s Old Man Pete’s. They make the best sandwiches in Wintra.”

As they made their way into the city, Jordan saw that some buildings were made of frosted ice, but the largest and grandest were made of ice so clear you could see straight through to the customers within. Some of the buildings looked like swirled ice cream cones while others were sculpted in the shapes of animals, people or nature scenes. The detail on the buildings was breathtaking- works of art so beautiful Jordan and Levi stared in reverent silence. Along the sidewalks, women pushed strollers made of ice while others ice-skated. Bare trees with foot long icicles were planted in pots of snow. People yelled from booths made of ice, holding their merchandise aloft. 

“Why is it winter here?” Jordan murmured without taking her eyes from the incredible view.

“Each capital is stuck in one season and it’s that way all year round. If you want to visit somewhere cold, you come here. If you want to go somewhere tropical, you visit Paradice.”

The sidewalks were lit by a soft rose glow that wove its way into the heart of the city. Jordan could see advertisements on some of the buildings as if there were huge TV screens within the ice. Advertisements for coats, perfumes and drinks passed by in a blur. Something flew across an advertisement and Jordan let out a scream. 

“What?” Cibrian groaned, rubbing his ears. 

“There’s someone f-f-” she stuttered, unable to believe her eyes. 

Cibrian peered through the glass and snorted. “Well, of course he’s flying. Who would want to walk when it’s so crowded?”

“C-can you-” 

“Maybe one day. It takes a lot of concentration. Usually only pure Thishe can manage it.”

Jordan opened and closed her mouth for a few seconds, unable to speak. They passed a building in the shape of a castle, complete with stiff ice flags caught in a nonexistent breeze. Next was a building in the shape of a mountain and the next- a building made of life size angel statues, one on top of the other.