Chapter Ten

Mr. Parker wasn’t at dinner. Kelly explained that he had to take care of business. Jordan was relieved, but she didn’t show it. If it was possible, she was even weaker than she’d been before and she didn’t want to hear what he had to say about it. When the Valor followed Jordan into the house, Kelly tapped her chin with a finger. 

“I guess I should’ve seen that one coming. Does he shed?”

Jordan blinked and Kelly waved a hand. 

“I guess we’ll find out. Let’s see what we have here.”

She rummaged around in the fridge and pulled out raw steaks and placed them on fine china. The Valor sniffed the air, but didn’t go into the kitchen. Kelly artistically arranged vegetables around the steaks. She began to place the plates on the floor, reconsidered, and then left them on the island in the kitchen. The Valor was taller than both of them.  

“Go on, Knight,” Jordan said. 

“Knight?” Kelly clapped her hands together. “That’s so cute! And Guardian’s protect so…”

“I had to call him something.” Jordan was embarrassed, but pleased. 

Knight edged forward. He was like a baby elephant in the house. He was as tall the fridge and when he lowered his head to the food, Kelly took a step back when she caught a glimpse of his teeth. As daintily as his fangs would allow, Knight demolished everything in sight. Kelly, who loved feeding people more than anything, got really excited and pulled even more stuff out of the fridge. Jordan was falling asleep by the time Knight seemed satisfied. 

Kelly helped Jordan up the stairs. It was a tight fit for Knight, but he managed. He led the way into Jordan’s room as if he’d been doing this for years and curled up in the middle of the room. Kelly hovered as Jordan made her way slowly around the room. 

“I’m sorry about today,” Jordan said, feeling unworthy of Kelly’s worry. “It was stupid-”

“Don’t let what Donovan said get to you,” Kelly admonished. “We never told you not to go there and we wouldn’t have anyway. Times have changed, though. Until you’re at full strength, just stay on this side of the stream and tell me if you want to go to Heath’s.” She shot a glance at the Valor. “But I’m sure Knight won’t let any harm come to you. They’re programmed to stick to their owner’s side like glue.”

“I still don’t understand this,” Jordan said, staring at the massive Valor sprawled over the expensive carpet. 

“You don’t have to, babe. Just go with it,” Kelly said and left the room. 

Jordan showered and when she came out of the bathroom, she couldn’t quite believe there was a half lion, half tiger in her bedroom. His ears twitched when she came out and he purred as if he approved of her shampoo. She sat on the edge of the bed and braided her hair and eyed her new companion. She was comforted and wary.

She woke up several times that night, throat aching with the need to scream. The first time, she thrashed to wakefulness, Knight was in the middle of the room, body tense and alert. She tossed and turned and the second time she reached consciousness, she found Knight on the bed with her. It was the most sleep she got in months. 

When Jordan went downstairs the next morning, the whole dining table was laid out with enough food for twenty people. Knight immediately set to work eating every last crumb. Jordan ate grits and orange juice and watched Kelly “bake” a cake. 

“Did you sleep better last night?” Kelly asked as she threw four eggs into a mixing bowl.

Jordan nodded, distracted by the crunching sound as Kelly stirred. Jordan never baked before, but she was sure Kelly was supposed to crack the eggs and put the insides in the bowl.