Chapter Five

Even in sleep Jordan sensed something reach for her. Her hand whipped up and clutched the gloved hand six inches from her face before her eyes opened. Mr. Parker noted the fear before she masked it and released him.

“We’re almost there,” he said. 

“Here where?” she asked and looked out of the window at orange tinted clouds.   

“Texas.”

“Texas?” She looked him up and down. Mr. Parker didn’t look like a cowboy. He looked like a slick mob boss.  

She couldn’t muster up the energy to ask what was going to happen now. As the plane began its descent Heath and Mr. Parker spoke in low tones and she ignored them both. She peered out the oval window and saw a deserted runway flanked by daisies and pasture as far as the eye could see. As the jet landed and taxied the runway Jordan noticed one building, a barn housing two propeller planes and another white unmarked jet. 

As soon as the plane stopped Mr. Parker impatiently unbuckled his seatbelt and strode down the aisle to the exit. Jordan followed. Two flight attendants nodded to her as she walked down the steps. She paused on the runway as Mr. Parker and Heath strode to a black Ford truck. 

The setting sun cast the pasture in golden light. She felt as if she landed on another planet. Gone was the sand and red dirt of Nevada. She took a deep breath. The air was sweet and warm. Jordan felt the humidity immediately, something that settled like a dewy blanket over her chilled body and she tipped her head back to enjoy the sensation. Jordan heard a door slam as Heath hopped into the truck and wondered if they would leave without her. Was it time for them to pass her off to someone else? She told herself she didn’t care. People had left her behind before. 

“Hey!” Mr. Parker yelled over the jet engine. 

Jordan opened her eyes and saw him glaring at her as he stood half out of the truck, leaning on the open door. 

“Get in!” he yelled and didn’t slam his door until she started walking towards them. 

She climbed into the back seat and buckled herself in. Heath gunned the engine and in a squeal of tires they were off. Through the tinted windows she stared at the unfamiliar sight of trees and gentle hills covered in blooming flowers. The serenity of her surroundings lulled her into sleep despite the catnaps. The men in the front seat didn’t speak and no music played on the radio. She wasn’t sure how much time passed but she roused when the car slowed. 

Heath turned off the main highway onto a dirt road. Jordan felt a spurt of alarm, remembering how Haven was far from any civilization. She unclipped her seat belt and Heath’s eyes focused on her in the rearview mirror as she pulled on the door handle, which didn’t open.

“The child safety locks came in handy, Donovan,” Heath said with a broad smile. 

Mr. Parker turned in his seat and glared at her. “What’s going on?”

“Where are we?” she demanded, tugging on the handle. 

“Jordan,” he said but she wasn’t listening. 

She slid across the bench seat to the other door and tried to shove it open or roll down the windows and when that didn’t work she beat the glass with her fist. She was panicked and terrified. She couldn’t be locked up again. She wouldn’t survive it. Suddenly the door opened and she launched herself out onto the dirt road and tried to run. Mr. Parker yanked her to a halt with a grip on her arm. She lashed out at him, kicking and snapping with her teeth.

“Donovan?” Heath said, watching Mr. Parker’s maneuvers to avoid being bit.

“Wait for us down the road,” Mr. Parker snapped.