SC1: Cory- On the Streets

En başından başla

"And here we are!" Cory gestured towards his crate fortress at the back of the alley.
"Wow, not bad..." the kid said, looking at the boxes. "Kind of bland, though."
"Well, I'm sorry," Cory got defensive. "But I don't have the time, or the supplies for interior decorating."
"Vright, vright..." the kid murmured to himself, digging around in his pockets. Cory looked on, confused, as the kid pulled out tons of random junk, including a rubber band, a square piece of metal that seemed to be some kind of instrument, a little statue made out of tree sap, little leaves, some feathers, and sawdust, a- was that a finger?- Cory shook his head, snapped a picture, and zoomed in on it. Yep, definitely a finger...
"This should work," the kid said, tapping Cory on the shoulder. Cory quickly exited the picture so he could see what was going on. The kid held around four or five berries from the forest in his hand. Cory narrowed his lens.
"How is that gonna help?" He said, looking at him in disbelief.
"Just watch," The kid replied, and flung the berries at the crates.
The berries exploded onto the crates, making a red and purple camoflage-looking splatter across the entire thing. Cory's jaw dropped.
"Don't touch it, it's still wet," The kid said, his grin looking more like a smirk.
"Shut up..." Cory said, walking over and looking at the perfectly placed splatters across the crates. The color even managed to get on the ceiling above the bed and behind the crate wall, which logically shouldn't have been possible. He headed outside of the alleyway to look at it from there and- the new paint made the crates almost part of the shadows. Cory couldn't even see what was going on.
"This is perfect! Thanks, du..." Cory trailed off, seeing the kid had just rearranged the roofed area he had built to make it even roomier, with a higher ceiling, more space on the ground, and little holes dug out of the crates to make little hidey holes. In one of them, Cory found the money he had stashed, and in another, the tip of the bread loaf poked out. The kid was by the crate wall, building another smaller crate building. Cory looked on as he put the last crate in place and pulled an impossible amount of moss out of one of his pockets and laid it across the ground. He looked up and saw Cory staring.
"Hey, you don't mind if I stay here, right?" he asked. "I kind of already set up camp, so..."
"Yeah, no problem," Cory murmured absentmindedly. "Hey, why don't you work in construction? I mean, if you can do this in, like, a minute, then..." he trailed off.
"I tried," the kid replied, shrugging, no sign of remorse in his tone. "They fired me after three days. Don't know why, they didn't tell me. Never been able to keep a job for long."
"Huh," Cory said. He leaned into his newly made crate-tent structure, pulled out the bread, and broke off a big piece. He offered it to the boy, and sat down on the moss he had laid out, bouncing on it a bit. "This is actually pretty comfy..." He murmured to himself.
The boy bit off a piece of the bread and seemed to relax immediately, before stuffing the rest of the chunk in his mouth, not even chewing for more than a second before swallowing. Cory tried to ignore this as he turned to him again.
"Hey, since I guess you'll be staying here for a while, what's your name?" He asked, looking at the kid.
"My name... I... don't really know," he replied, shrugging.
"Seriously dude? How can you not know your own name?" Cory asked in disbelief.
"Everyone just gives me their own names for me," the kid replied. "My last job- what, a year ago?- tried to get a respectable job, ended up with an ex-wife."
"A... what?"
"I was some lady's servant. Wanted me to call her 'wife'. I worked for her for a few days- she payed four stells a day!- but I quit after that." He shuddered. "All I needed was a bit of money. I got enough to survive, and I got the hell out of there."
"That- ugh. Disgusting," Cory said, wincing a bit. "But hey, you got some money out of it, right?"
"Some money and a running joke," the kid smirked. "Still working on the ex-wife material, but I'm sure I'll get it down."
"Yeah, sure," Cory responded, surprised the kid could make a joke out of that. "So, what were you saying?"
"Oh yeah. She called me Thomas. So I guess you can call me that," the kid shrugged.
"Thomas? No way," Cory scoffed. "That name is so stuffy."
"Oh thank god." the kid slumped backwards onto the moss bedding behind him. "That name is truly awful." He snickered a bit. "I can hardly imagine having that happen again." He turned his voice high and whiney. "Oh, Thomas, dear, would you go fetch me a snack from the kitchen? Oh, Thomas, fluff up my pillow and my quilt for me. If you want, you can come and lay down with me~" He shook his head. "That was a truly awful experience."
Meanwhile, Cory appeared to stare contemplatively out at his area across from where he was sitting. Really, he was going through his footage of the pictures he'd taken in the last hour: the weird digging, the endless pockets, the strange trinkets, the impossible stunts. It all seemed like a trick, but he figured it must be real. Suddenly, something clicked.
"Tommy." Cory said, glancing back over at the kid.
"Huh?" He responded, confused.
"What do you think of the name Tommy?"
"Tommy..." The kid repeated it to himself several times. "Vright... I like it." He decided.
"Well, Tommy," Cory said, "Nice to meet you. I'm Cory."

AN: Aaaaaand the start of an awesome friendship! I'm gonna give these two maybe two or three more subchapters- one for Tommy, one for Cory and Tommy. I found it fitting that Cory would give Tommy his name- I remember in one video them saying something about how his real name is actually John but he's nicknamed Tommy, so maybe Tommy's birth name is John, but after he was- I'm gonna say what happened to get him on the streets in his subchapter. Anyways, he gave up that name out of spite and sadness, and eventually completely forgot about it.
I tried to outline some of Tommy's logic-defying freak-magic, which I find awesome. Maybe the whole digging from a handstand thing is a bit too far, but I wanted to use real examples (THQ where he would dig a hole and end up coming up on a roof behind them).
Anyways, tell me what you think! I am getting more and more into this story as I develop the lore, I'm so excited...
See you guys around!
-Helena!! %)