IV. A

"Okay, Miss Grey, if you look here, there's nothing out of the ordinary. No baby to report, but I assume you didn't come just to double check," Dr. Willis said as she held the ultrasound screen by Harper's face. Harper's eyes were red from not much sleep, but she couldn't help the relief that filled her senses. She didn't quite understand why she wasn't pregnant, but she figured she could slide that bit of information into a slot in her brain for her to think over later.

Dr. Willis continued to run the ultrasound equipment over her belly, wet with fluids needed to see an image on screen. She looked on the screen attentively as she roamed over Harper's flat stomach, her hands careful and precise. Harper laid still in her seat, feeling her nerves get the better of her as she wondered if there was a possibility that she really was pregnant, and the doctor had just missed it the first time. She silently prayed that there wasn't going to be some surprise baby to pop up on the screen.

"And you're sure about that, Mrs. Willis? I'm completely empty?" she felt the need to double check.

"Yes, Harper, and please, call me Angie. You're my daughter's best friend, it only serves to end formalities between us." Harper smiled at that, the nerves knotting in her belly twisting it into a sort of grimace.

"I'm sorry, it's just..." Harper trailed off, groaning. "I don't think I'm supposed to say this but... I just.. don't want to have a baby. Not right now, at least," she said, and closed her eyes. She didn't want to see the look of pity of Angie's face. She got enough of it from everyone else.

"Oh, honey, it's only normal," Angie said, putting a caring warm hand on Harper's shoulder. "Now I have to ask you, only a requirement, when the last time you had sex was."

Harper looked down. "Earlier this week." Harper knew Angie didn't like Jason, he had always been the type to run through women like they were tissues, so she didn't bother bringing his name into the conversation.

"Really? Are you sure you actually had sex, then? I don't mean to pry, but you've been here enough times to know that if you had, something certainly would be showing up here," she said, tapping a finger gently on the screen beside her. Harper nodded, and Angie hummed in response. "Ah, well, if you're certain. I think it's safe to say you're in the clear for now, but I do want to see you back here in the next week or so to do another check up. I'm slightly concerned about this, but I don't want to make it into a big to do if it doesn't need to be." She handed Harper a towel to clean off the wetness from her stomach and turned to the cabinet behind her to grab something. "Don't forget to check out with Steven, alright dear?"

Harper waited until she left the room to start cleaning herself up. She left the towel on the seat and pulled her shirt back into place before walking out, heading down the hall. The hospital on pack grounds wasn't large; it only served a few purposes, since wolves mostly healed easily on their own, and it only was in use for children, severe injuries that required surgery, and giving birth. Harper turned the corner and saw Steven at the help desk, typing away busily at his computer. He barely looked up as she came to a stop in front of him, and just nodded at a clipboard that held a sign-in sheet for her to sign. She hurriedly penned her signature and placed the clipboard back on the desk, walking out of the hospital and heading back to her house. Steven was someone who she ran into often enough, and every experience was the same: he was quiet, dutiful, and didn't bother making conversation. He was on omega of the pack, so he was used to being looked down on, and Harper figured that had something to do with it. Even though he was low ranking, Harper didn't pity him; she was low ranked too, after all. Steven was seen as not strong enough to be of use to the pack, and Harper was seen as a low class whore to most of the pack, so she felt a kinship with him for both being outcasts. Some of the only people who didn't think that way of her were her brother, her two friends, and her parents, but the latter had passed away years ago, so the list of people who actually liked her was ever shrinking. She passed rows of trees and flowers, sniffing the heavy scent of roses and she walked by. Her feet kicked up dirt on the side of the road as she walked, causing her to sneeze. She saw other pack members walking around the main circle, talking and laughing with each other. Harper saw her brother, Adam, and a couple of his friends with him. They waved at her from across the street, and she smiled and walked over.