IX. A

Harper stood with her fingers gripping the door handle so tight that her knuckles were turning white. She looked at Jason's chest, unable to look him directly in the eye.

"What do you want? Why are you here?" she asked.

"I'm here to apologize."

She looked at him then, her eyes narrowed. "There's no fúcking way."

The corner of Jason's lip pulled up into a smile. "Yeah, there is, and I'm here doing it. Now can I come in?" He made as if to come inside, but Harper spread her feet apart and assumed a more solid stance, preventing his entry.

"Anything you need to say you can say from right there." Her voice was steely, but inside she wasn't feeling so brave.

Jason let out a breath. "Fine. I'm sorry for getting so drunk I couldn't see straight and forcing myself onto you, Harper."

Harper's laugh was sharp. "Crappy apology. I don't believe you're really sorry."

Jason let out a breath. "You know what, fine, you don't have to believe me. I don't give a shit. I tried to be the adult, but you are acting like a damn child, so whatever."

Harper growled, finally releasing her grip on the door handle to shove him backwards. "Get the hell off my property, Jason! I don't know what's worse, the fact that you tried to attack me at the party, or the fact that you don't even understand that you did anything wrong! God, you're such a shitty excuse for a person, and you're an even worse excuse for a wolf. Anyone else in the pack would see how wrong you are! Now get away from me and go back home, or I will not hesitate to contact the alpha and have you forcefully removed."

Quicker than she could respond, she was up against the wall, Jason's arms on either side of her head, bracketing her in. His chest was heaving, and his eyes were fiery with anger. "You know what you little bitch, I came here tonight to get back in your good graces, but fúck it, it's not worth it." He brought his body closer to hers, making sure she could feel every inch of his heated skin. "I need you to understand something for me, Harper," he smiled, his teeth sharp, "you don't want to piss me off, and you already have, more than once. Now, you're going to either play nice, or you're really going to see me in a bad mood. Understand?"

Harper nodded, biting her tongue so hard she tasted copper. She felt fear drip into her heart, and she looked down.

"Now, I'm going to leave, and you're going to forget about calling the big bad alpha, alright? Just go sit back down in your little house and be a good little girl, huh?"

Harper nodded again.

"Good."

He released her, stepping back and towards the door. He grabbed the handle, making to leave, but stopped and turned back to her with a wolfy grin.

"And babe? Next time, I'll make sure there aren't any fúck ups. You're going to be pregnant. Count on it."

He closed the door lightly behind him, belying the heaviness of his words. Harper sunk down against the wall where she was, cradling her head in her hands as she released tears she didn't know were gathering in her eyes. She started shivering, the fear in her body chilling her skin. After what felt like hours but could have been only minutes, she felt herself become drowsy, but didn't have the energy to get up and walk to her bedroom. She laid down where she was, feet from the door, letting herself drift into a dreamless sleep.

* * *

Movement around her woke her. She wasn't sure what time it was, or how long she had slept. She cracked open a bleary eye to see a chest right in front of her, and arms around her body, carrying her like a child through her house. She didn't feel any anxiety, though, so she knew that whoever was carrying her wasn't someone to fear. She relaxed and closed her eyes, allowing herself to be held. A moment later, they stopped, and whoever carried her toed open her bedroom door with their boot. They carried her to her bed and gently placed her on the soft sheets. The bed dipped beside her and she sat up groggily. Bryson sat close by her body, a soft smile on his face.