XIX. A

Bryson tunneled through the forest at the quickest speed he could muster, full wolf and all rage. The burning smoke had overwhelmed him and his group as they got closer, and it was all he could do not to choke on it. The forest was almost suffocating, holding the tendrils of smoke hostage so they could invade the bodies of those nearby. As they closed in on their target, Bryson could see the outline of a house. It was mostly engulfed in flame, boards cracking and falling to the ground in some places. Under the overpowering scent of fire and smoke, Bryson could detect someone inside.

Someone alive.

"Adam!" he shouted, having transformed back to his human body, "there's someone inside! Alive!"

They both rushed towards the open front door, but slid to a stop when the frame collapsed, sealing off the entrance in a wall of fire and burning wood. Bryson looked quickly around him for another entrance, seeing a window on the left hand side, and rushing over to it. He punched the glass out, his hand slitting open before starting to stitch itself slowly back together with his increased healing. He didn't worry about the glass still ripping into his knuckles, instead pulling himself through the fractured window and into the room. He immediately picked up Harper's scent and, eyes flashing, hunted for her in the small room. The flames hadn't yet reached this room, but were lurking just on the other side of a closed door, judging by the heat it was radiating.

"Harper? Harper, baby, it's me!" Bryson shouted, looking all around. Her scent was here, he knew she had been here, but he still wasn't sure. "Harper!" Bryson stepped forward and looked at the room, which was bare except for a large bed and a rocking chair in the corner. There was a blanket in the other corner, as well. Bryson continued to step closer to the bed, wondering where Harper could be. He jumped when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye, and his head snapped to the side. He saw a young woman crouching on the floor, hiding under the thick blanket, staring at him with wide, terrified eyes. When he took a step towards her, she shrunk back.

"Hey, I'm here to help, I promise," Bryson said gently, holding his hands out in front of him as a sign of peace. "I'm going to get you out of here, okay?" The girl nodded, but she didn't move from her spot in the corner. Bryson sighed, and moved towards her. "Are you okay, can you walk?" he asked gently, watching her. She shook her head. "Okay," Bryson said, "I'll carry you, is that alright?" The girl nodded again. Bryson moved to pick her up, and dropped the blanket in the process. He moved for the window, calling out for Adam. Adam immediately rushed to the window and gasped when he saw the girl. He hurriedly put his arms through the window, reaching out for her. Bryson handed her over carefully, and once she was safely in Adam's arms, turned to search the room for signs of his mate.

Her scent was strongest on the bed, which made Bryson growl, but he also could tell that her scent was fainter than the girl that he just rescued, meaning she was no longer here. Bryson sighed and turned to go out the window, and he climbed back out unceremoniously, landing in a messy heap on the ground. He rolled his neck until it cracked and sighed before turning to move towards Adam and the others, who had moved a safe distance away.

A large crash sounded behind Bryson. Spinning on his heel, he watched as one entire side of the house collapsed under the heat of fire, leaving only parts still standing, and even those looked ready to fall.

Bryson approached Adam, who was still cradling the woman in his arms, looking at her with all the adoration in the world. He frowned, wanting more than anything for Harper to be in his arms. He crouched on the ground, watching each member of their small group. Adam couldn't take his eyes off the girl, and the girl couldn't take her eyes off of Megan. Talon, who sat silently the entire time, was holding Megan back from jumping on the woman in Adam's arms. Megan was crying, but she was smiling too, so Bryson wasn't worried.